Reinstalling my wirelss router

Userlevel 1
Hello there. I am sure you will be hearing from me quite often seeing as how I know just enough to get me in trouble. My first problem is I cannot reinstall my Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router Model WRT54G 2.4GHz 802.11g. It is 7 years old and I have no idea where all pertinet inf. has been long since lost. I do have the setup disk bu nothing I try works. Trying to accomplish this without help, but I admit I could use some advice. Nice to meet you all.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Welcome aboard!  Linksys has all the documentation and drivers here:
http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT54G

Generally you'll just need to log in to the admin console to make any changes.  If you've forgotten the password, there should be a button that you can press to do a factory reset if need be.  In most situations the setup is pretty plug and play - just plug the output of your cable or DSL modem into the WAN port, and then setup a password in the admin console to protect your network.  Let us know how it goes!
Userlevel 1
Thank you for your prompt response. In about an hour I will try your system. I will let you know the outdome. Thank you very much.
                 Jim
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Cool, let us know how you fare!
Userlevel 1
Right now I am at the stage of setup with my installation  cd. It says enter password and one is outlined in blue but I have no idea what that password is. Should I just enter it and try and change password down the line or try and change password right now?
Userlevel 7
I would do the former so that you know that you have signed on before you change the password.  BTW, I think that for your model the default username is 'admin', and the default password is the same, i.e., 'admin'.
Userlevel 1
Thanks, between Sheri and Baldrick I successfully installed my Linksys. Now I have to see if I can get my other computer to work with it. Any more advice for the next step? If not, thats alright you saved me hours of frustration already.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi JP1954,

Since you have your router connected is your other PC a laptop or desktop?
Userlevel 1
Thank you . Two working computers. Thank you again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thank you . Two working computers. Thank you again.
Great, Did you get both Computers set up wirelessly?

And your welcome!

Salute'
Userlevel 1
Sheri my router is attached to a new HP notebook. My other computer is a refurbished Dell laptop Latitude d810 2007 yr.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Sheri my router is attached to a new HP notebook. My other computer is a refurbished Dell laptop Latitude d810 2007 yr.
Hi JP1954,
Thank you for letting us know!

Then both laptops are connected wirelessly right? Your laptops recognize your linksys Router.

So you should be networked now as well.

Salute'
Userlevel 7
Hi JP

Glad to hear that you are sorted.  Happy surfing...:D

And as Sherry says...always pleased to try to lend a hand if we can.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thank you. You guys are great. Not judgemental, just helpful. You will be hearing from me in the future. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Thanks, JP...good of you to say so.  Looking forward to hearing from you. :D