scammed with phony webroot website

• 15 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Lenovo 2019 Premium Flagship ThinkPad E590

Purchased: 1/8/20

Delivered: 1/11/20

Set-up: 1/12/20

I tried to install Webroot Internet Security Complete on my new computer. Instead of using the website listed on my email receipt from Webroot, I did a search for Webroot on the internet. I ended up on a bogus site.

I asked for help installing Webroot on the computer. The person who I spoke to said that he would have to do a complete scan of my computer. I gave him permission. At the end of the scan he showed me that I had approximately 10 areas where my modem/router was hacked.

He said that he was a member of the Geek Squad and that Best Buy owns Webroot. He also said that he could arrange for a technician to come to my house to install a machine to remove the hacks. The machine would be in my house for 4 or 5 days. At the end of that time the technician would return to remove the machine. I would only be charged $50.

For security he said that he would need to hold the cost of the machine, $1900. He took me to Amazon‘s website to view the machine and see the cost. He asked me to purchase $1900 worth of Best Buy gift cards from Amazon. I did, putting in my credit card information while he still had control of my computer. He said that when the cards arrived I would need to give him the codes on the back of the gift cards.

He arranged to call me the following day and the day after that. Meanwhile he said that I should not turn off my computer.

After thinking about it for a couple of hours, I decided that the whole thing was a scam. No legitimate business would ask for gift cards. I shut down my new computer. I did a search on my old computer and found that this was a common scam. I went to Amazon and was able to cancel the order for the gift cards.

Then I went to Webroot’s website which was listed on my purchase receipt and installed Webroot on the new computer. Webroot immediately did a full scan and found no problems.

Next I contacted my credit card company’s fraud department. My credit card was canceled and a new one is being issued.

Since this person had control of my computer should I be worried that all of my personal information is compromised?

icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 15 January 2020, 18:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @MadelineB 

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Yes this is certainly a scam. At least you got wise to this and cancelled those gift cards, and cancelled your credit card.

You should change every password that you have for anything that you log onto while using the Internet.

Do not change the password using the accessed computer until you are 100% certain that it is clean. 

Please Contact Webroot Support during business hours and they can check your system out. Free of charge with an active subscription. You can also Submit a Support Ticket which is available 24/7.

Good luck!

I did this on my computer. Thankyou for your help.

Mom1349