slow laptop

• 20 December 2014
  • 2 replies

I had my laptop in at Best Buy about 2 months ago because it was running slow. Evey time I run a scan (daily), it does not pick up anything. But the Geek Squad man said that he found 63 problems on it. He cleaned them out and now 2 months later still having problems on running speed. My actual question is why is Webroot not catching them before they get on my computer???  Is this software any good or not???
Thanks
Jim

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Well without talking to that person who knows what he found it could be cookies as I can't see it being infected and 63 issues again who knows what he meant and since it's a Best Buy Sub have contacted them about it yet? http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/geeksquad-dl also to make sure you are malware free please Submit a Support Ticket and they will let you know what's going on!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi jimbopper61

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Well, first thing to say is that just because the Geek Squad stated that they had found 63 problems does not mean that any were malware-related, and there could be a number of reasons as to why your laptop slows down some of which could be caused by WSA.

It is possible that amongst the '63 problems' the Geek Squad found PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications). These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behaviour that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools. But they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.  Did y9ou notice any such activity on your system before you returned it to the Geek Squad.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

Another potential reason for slow downs could be due to WSA monitoring apps installed that it cannot determine to be good (allowed) or bad (blocked) in which case it will start monitoring their behaviour/journalling their actions so that if in the future it determines then to be bad it can block them and undo what actions they performed on your system whilst being monitored.  If determined to be good then monitoring is stopped, of course.

Now, if you lke me, use a lot of esotric apps or like to make sure that one has the latest version of an app, then it is likely that we will suffer from a higher than normal number of monitored apps, which could impact performance...but to be honest I have never noticed such an effect.

So, in retrospect it would be useful if yo could find out from the Geek Squad what the '63 problems' were so that we can dermine if they call into any of the above categories and so whether we need to look elsewhere for answer.

Not sure this helsp but perhaps it can explain some of what WSA is about/does?

Please post back if you have any further or follow on questions.

Regards, Baldrick