Spam email asking for your credit information

• 28 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Early this year I received an email stating that my subscription to WEBROOT was ending and they needed my credit card information to complete before being cancelled. I purchase my WEBROOT subscription along with my Tech Support ( not sure that is the name) for fixing my computers free. I have used that service for well over 15 years, before that I had to replace my computers at least every 24 months. The computer I am using to write this is almost six years old and running great.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey there @BossTom ,

I’m a bit confused about what you’re asking here. Are you asking us to confirm whether or not that e-mail was a spam e-mail or a legit one? 

The best thing to do would be reaching out to the retailer where you bought your Webroot subscription (was it bestbuy?) and asking them to check on your account status. If you bought from somewhere other than BestBuy, then please reach out to Webroot support here: http://webroot.com/us/en/support/home-contact

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@BossTom ,

Wow, thank you for describing the experience that you’ve been through! Identity theft is awful and incredibly hard to deal with. I’ve personally dealt with identity theft, albeit in a different way than you. I downloaded a file from a fake software website (by accident of course) and had my computer taken over by malware. My bank login was stolen and the attacker used it to buy $3.5k in Bitcoin - It took months to get that charge reversed. 

I hope that you’re able to stay free from identity theft in the future! Be careful what you click on and make sure to always verify the source of e-mails. If an e-mail is asking you for credit card information, it’s almost always going to be an attempt at digital theft!

Actually I was asking if anyone else had had a similar experience with having an email wanting credit card information, using the topic that their subscription was expiring. And to let people know that if this happened to me then it could be happing to others.  I was a victim of ID theft 4 years ago, luckily for me I am personal friends with the bank manager. He shut down any and all  transactions on our bank accounts and credit cards. American Express and Mastercard did the same, as he was on the line with me. I as probably many others did not look at the fine print when signing up with Pay Pal. With the help of my friend, American Express and Mastercard, we did not loose any money, of course BRAND X did and sent nasty letters trying to collect what they lost. I add this as ID theft is not fun,

Extortion, and especially “sextortion” emails, are becoming more frequent, and they can be extremely alarming when received. ... They are called sextortion scams because there is an element of sexual behavior to them, something which is highlighted by scammers as undesirable and shameful.