Solved

startech hub

• 19 October 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

I bought a new HP laptop at best buy yesterday, along with webroot protection. When I tried to install the webroot it said that I could not install because my laptop had been compromised. Before I knew there was this guy telling me that my laptop had been infected by trojan horses when I connected to my wifi. He spent two hours cleaning my new laptop and supposedly everything else that was connected to my wifi. He then said that it would cost me $299,99 which got charged to my credit card. He was from  something called startech hub  / sns technologies, and seemed like he was very competent, but we have no idea what just happened and are a little anxious about the whole thing.

Webroot did end up getting installed, and the laptop works perfectly, which was the whole idea, but it was not what I was expecting, and I don’t quite understand it.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 19 October 2019, 01:13

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello@Joe 68 ,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

This is a SCAM and if I was you I would contact your credit card company and tell them you were scammed and that you need to get a new credit card. Then I would Submit a Support Ticket and have the Webroot Team check out your system and they can get Webroot installed for you Free of charge with your Webroot Subscription. You should never have to pay $299 for support from this possibly fake company.

@Joe 68 Edited: You can also call Support here 1-866-612-4227. They might still be in the office.

Look at this post by @TripleHelix 

Here

Hope this helps?