Solved

Threat Shield Not Working

  • 12 March 2021
  • 7 replies
  • 168 views

Just noticed Webroot threat shield not working properly AGAIN!!  This is so annoying and I never had this problem with other anti-virus programs until I got Webroot.  Last time this happened, I was told to do a complete reinstall by someone here which I didn’t feel comfortable doing. Luckily, I contacted Webroot Technical Support directly first and they said there was actually an issue with the Google Search Engine which was causing this and they were aware of it and it did resolve itself as they said it would. Now I have the same problem again - first I had spinning circles, then it appeared to work again, and now nothing appears next to search result entries.  I contacted the Technical Support again hoping it was a Google issue again, but they had me run a WSA Log which I did and then they told me to uninstall and reinstall which I don’t want to do.  I don’t understand why there is not an easier fix for such a small issue. I have Windows 10 Home, use Google Search Engine, use Firefox 86 and have Webroot Internet Security Plus version 9.0.29.62 which it says is the latest version.  Does anyone know of an easier fix??

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 13 June 2021, 22:52

View original

7 replies

I’m suddenly having the same problem

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @pjk2021 

 

Please try a clean reinstall of Webroot!

 

Please follow the steps closely!

  • Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Go into Safe Mode and Delete these Folders if they are there!
  • C:\Program Files\Webroot Folder
  • C:\ProgramData\WRData Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • C:\ProgramData\WRCore Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • Boot back into normal mode
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Info in case you don’t know how to go into Safe Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

 

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Webroot program just to fix a Chrome extension problem really seems  like an extreme solution and a great deal of work for me. Besides, it’s doing the same thing on two of computers (the ones I have turned on right now), which suggests to me that it’s a problem at your end, not at mine.

For those reasons, I first would need some explanation of why this solution would work, and why it is necessary.

 

 

 

 

Additionally, I see that this procedure is more than just a reinstall. It requires me to go into safe mode and monkey around with hidden folders. Sorry, that’s just way too intricate to expect a user to do. I switched to Webroot six years ago because it had a reputation for having a low memory overhead and being glitch-free. 

It’s a Chrome problem, apparently. I just loaded Firefox on the same machine, and the threat shield is working just fine on it

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @pjk2021 

 

We have to try these steps before sending you to support, you can try this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd

 

Remove the extension from chrome and then go back and add it back. I have never had issues with the Web Filter in Chrome but others have.

 

 

If that doesn’t work please contact Webroot support during the week:

 

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket

Call 1-866-612-4227

 

Thanks,

A few days after the malfunction, the Threat Shield mysteriously just started working again, without me doing any of this stuff.  That leads me to think it was some sort of problem at Webroot’s end, rather than in the software on my machines. 

To me, this reveals a bigger problem, though, Not with Threat Shield, but with a troubleshooting methodology that necessitates that I spend hours uninstalling and reinstalling the programs and extensions on all my machines.  That’s time that I need to do income-producing work. 

Reply