Solved

Trackers

Userlevel 1

I  recently got a new computer which has a temporary McAffee LifeSafe subscription.  It just found multiple trackers, which it then cleaned, and I  wonder why Webroot Secure Anywhere did not find them?

icon

Best answer by jhartnerd123 5 April 2022, 20:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Are you sure a full scan in WSA had taken place?  Also, are you sure the results were not false positives?   A list of what's found might help here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

What makes you think they are trackers? 

I’ve seen that a lot of other products like to really fluff up their detections to make things look worse than they already are.

Cookies are in a manner of speaking “trackers” as they track you when you go between sites so places like facebook know where you are going to and have visited etc… 

You can’t eliminate them completely, but just keeping a tidy system, strong passwords, good firewall (inbound and outbound), DNS filtering, good endpoint security and the list goes on, and you’ll be as as safe as you can be. ​​​​​​​

Cheers

John

Userlevel 1

Thank you both for the feedback!  Scans are set to run daily. According to McAfee, they stopped over 24,000 cookies and “other trackers.”  Frankly, I find this totally unbelievable given my limited time online since I got the computer, so the comment from you, John, that “other products like to really fluff up their detections to make things look worse...” makes a lot of sense.  I do not plan to purchase McAfee since I have been very satisfied with Webroot Secure Anywhere for the many years I have been using it.  I just found the McAfee report to be extreme since WSA is active and wondered what might have been going on.  Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Thank you both for the feedback!  Scans are set to run daily. According to McAfee, they stopped over 24,000 cookies and “other trackers.”  Frankly, I find this totally unbelievable given my limited time online since I got the computer, so the comment from you, John, that “other products like to really fluff up their detections to make things look worse...” makes a lot of sense.  I do not plan to purchase McAfee since I have been very satisfied with Webroot Secure Anywhere for the many years I have been using it.  I just found the McAfee report to be extreme since WSA is active and wondered what might have been going on.  Thanks again!

I have to agree with John that I have seen other programs claiming to eliminate a lot of things that other programs do not see, like your 24,000 cookies. Now it is possible to have 24,000 cookies over a long long time, but if it tell you that every day, I would be a bit suspicious. 

Good luck. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could be false positives as mentioned above

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Okay

Guide to Tracking Cookies

https://www.cookielawinfo.com/tracking-cookies/

And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

And Webroot protects Cookies with it’s Identity Shield if the browser is listed!

Click on picture to see full size!

From a Webroot Blog: https://www.webroot.com/blog/2019/10/17/cookies-pixels-and-other-ways-advertisers-are-tracking-you-online/