Solved

Trojan on on my phone and Desktop?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I originally posted over four months ago under the heading  ‘Email service attack ?’ with my Android Samsung Galaxy A50 showing problems

Since then I have continued having problems with both my mobile and desktop.

ALL scans come back as clear and green, (phone and desktop) but I am not entirely convinced.

I use LastPass, and this has been targeted , I have changed  the master password and latterly downloaded a recent critical windows update to my desktop (Operating 8.1) which has improved matters somewhat.

I feel as though I am being set up for a  hit and run  attack and feel extremely vulnerable

Just read an article about Trojan Teabot  which rings a few alarm bells with parallels to the behaviour I am experiencing, 

I am now wondering if I have been infected by Teabot or similar.

Any advice would be hugely welcome  

thanks in advance 

Roadhog1

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 13 May 2021, 17:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @roadhog1 

Please Submit a Support Ticket and ask them for a free security check and they will look at your logs and then you can have a piece of mind that everything is okay.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks TripleHelix

How long does the process take and what is required from me?

roadhog1

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@roadhog1

If you simply aren’t sure, the best course of action is to backup your data and perform a wipe/reload on your devices. 

John

I’m sorry @jhartnerd123  that is only required as a last resort IMO. @roadhog1 it could take a few days once you get a reply from support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

The problem with that sort of thinking @TripleHelix is that if there is indeed a potential breach or a bad actor, waiting 24 hours or more for support or messing around with settings or running multiple tools, you are extending the time the bad actors have access to a device.

In the case of a breach you need to go immediate radio silence, cut the device from being able to talk to the world, contain, investigate, clean/remediate/restore etc.. 

Whether it be a consumer or a business. Large or small. Our data and personal information are our lives. 

If the persons devices don’t have much data and they have all their available software to restore. Essentially backups, then best practice is to wipe the device, then ensure that when restoring, that you lock it down, endpoint protection, strong passwords, limit access to applications, good firewall in place etc.. etc… 

I never treat client systems as a guinea pig running multiple “tools” hoping to clean it up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@jhartnerd123  he has been saying that for months:
https://community.webroot.com/webroot-mobile-security-for-android-15/email-service-attack-346057

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

LOL wow. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

@roadhog1 

If you simply aren’t sure, the best course of action is to backup your data and perform a wipe/reload on your devices. 

John