Solved

Webroot app for Microsoft edget

• 24 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
HI
I installed the Webroot app for Microsoft edge. Is the app now working?
Any known security problems? Can Webroot, Microsoft, Google track what I'am doing?
Will my information be sold to any other parities?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 27 January 2019, 15:41

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey Baldrick;
Thanks for the info. I really have no problems with my system. You've answered my questions and certainly appreciate your comments.

Jram1

You are most welcome, Jram1 😃
Badge
Hey Baldrick;
Thanks for the info. I really have no problems with my system. You've answered my questions and certainly appreciate your comments.

Jram1
Userlevel 7
Hi jram1

In my opinion the answer is 'No'...no need for concern re. this...unless you find your system performing strangely or not performing as expected...which I suspect will not be the case.

Please see this previous thread (HERE) on this topic...this is not on the exact same memory leak but the basic 'solution'/advice is the same regardless of the actual active process involved.

Another way to think about it is...ok, raise this with the app provided...in this case Microsoft...does one honestly think that MS would take much notice of what an app developed by other company says about one of their processes.

Well, at least that is my take on things...other members may see this differently.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Badge
February 10, 2019
A scan on 02/09/2019 by Webroot Secure Anywhere has indicated my computer system (Hardware, Software and Threats) is running well; however, under the System Analyzer, results indicated that my Software shows the following:
●An active process has a Memory Leak(Microsoft Edge CP.exe.
●An active process has a Handle Leak(Microsoft Edge CP.exe
Should I be concerned of these findings? Please advise.
j@r
Userlevel 7
Hi jkwebznx9

Thanks for letting us know...and glad to be of assistance. That is one of the many reasons we exist.

Do pop back if you have any further questions on this or another topic. Some one should usual be around and able to assist.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Thanks for that detailed information. It answered all my questions.
Userlevel 7
Hi jkwebznx9

Welcome to the NEW Community Forums.

The Webroot Web Threat Shield (only available to Webroot SecureAnywhere subscribers) keeps you safe when browsing the web by identifying and blocking dangerous websites.

It examines and classifies search results, clearly marking sites as safe, questionable or dangerous before you visit. The anti-phishing shield blocks fake websites that try to trick you into entering your personal information. Webroot scans the internet three times a day classifying millions of URLs, apps and files as trustworthy or suspicious to protect your online world.

And if it is working then you should be seeing something like this when you search via Google & the like:

I have purposefully searched for something that would show the most usual icons that are displayed to the left of each search result if the extension is working as it should.

As far as I am aware there are no known security issue with the extension.

The extension however does not prevent Webroot, Microsoft, Google etc., from tracking what you are doing (in as far as the extent to which they do) that is not the role of the extension, and to do that you will need to adjust your system's configuration in terms of OS, browser(s), etc., and most likely install anti-tracking apps, etc.

As to whether your information will be sold to any other parities? Well, I am fairly certain that Webroot does not do that but as to whether Microsoft does I am not 100% sure. Google is another matter. In the case of this question your best bet is to read the relevant End User Licensing Agreements (EULAs) carefully as that should explain what & when, etc.

Hope that helps?

But if not then please come back with any further questions and we will do our best to assist.

Regards, Baldrick