Solved

Webroot causing Windows Explorer to freeze/lock up?

• 23 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
Hello, Webroot community. First time former and first time post here.

The company I work for sells Webroot SecureAnywhere subscrptions to many of our business clients, as well as some residential clients.

We've had numerous situations arise since December 2018 where at least five Windows 10 computers were freezing up/locking (specifically Windows Explorer) after logging into Windows rendering the computers useless and then another few at various clients did the same thing and all of them happened to have Webroot installed. Also, some of them indicated that the service may have been expired as well.

What will happen is when you login to the account, it takes a long time to login and when finally login, the mouse cursor becomes an hourglass circle and you can't open any applications, nothing. Eventually, a popup windows shows Microsoft Windows is not responding. Windows Explorer basically freezes up.

Also, I wanted to disabled Webroot on one computer because some websites were not working properly and wanted to disable, I figured out a method to disable by deleting the folder/registry keys in recovery environment. Then after I was done and tried reinstalling Webroot, then Windows Explorer froze up again after logging in.

We have never had these issues occur with computers that did not have Webroot installed.

My ultimate fix for these was to do a System restore and remove the registry keys/folders and then reinstall Webroot and everything would be fine again, Windows Explorer working.

Now, we are having an issue where we have created a new client in the SecureEverywhere portal, configure it and everything goes fine. I installed Webroot from the resources on a Windows 10 1809 laptop and it says it installed okay, but it is saying the license is expired and will not register to the portal and then eventually, Windows explorer locks up again. We tried changing the poll to 15 minutes without success.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before and is there a fix or workaround for it? Maybe is a Windows update/Webroot clashing?

I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Jay
icon

Best answer by JayBCT 24 January 2019, 20:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello @JayBCT and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

There was an issue many months ago but it was fixed so this might be a different issue so the best thing to do is Submit a Support Ticket and ask them to look into your issue and you can even copy and paste what you posted here in the Ticket.

Sorry the old issue I was thinking about was opening Task Manager when Firefox or Chrome was open and the system would lock up.

Thanks,
Badge +1

There was an issue many months ago but it was fixed so this might be a different issue so the best thing to do is Submit a Support Ticket and ask them to look into your issue and you can even copy and paste what you posted here in the Ticket.

Old issue:

Thank you, TripleHelix. Could you provide me with a link to that fix to try it?

BTW, the last part with the new client and 1809 and such, we believe that is resolved now, there was a bunch of .NET framework updates missing that didn't get installed (including 3.5 not being enabled), and some C++ patches. Afterwards, installation seemed to work okay and register to the portal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Old issue:
Thank you, TripleHelix. Could you provide me with a link to that fix to try it?

BTW, the last part with the new client and 1809 and such, we believe that is resolved now, there was a bunch of .NET framework updates missing that didn't get installed (including 3.5 not being enabled), and some C++ patches. Afterwards, installation seemed to work okay and register to the portal.

I edited my post with new info and it wasn't the same issue and Webroot fixed the issue I mentioned above. So the Support Ticket is your best bet!

Sorry,
Badge +1
I called Webroot support and yesterday (January 23, 2019) they had reported issues with keycode provisioning. They told me it got "logjammed". I reinstalled Webroot this morning after system restore on the one laptop and after letting it scan and refreshing configuration, let it sit for about an hour and the laptop started responding better and Webroot appeared to be happy. Although if they are not registering on the client portal, they told me to wait as they are communicating on the back end.

Also for those other computers with the freezing issues, it has NOT happened in about a month, so hopefully those issues are gone, but I do have a workaround if it does happen again, to delete the Webroot folder in Program Files and remove Webroot from startup in registry using recovery media or a startup disk like Hiren's HBCD.
Badge
I also ran into this yesterday (1/23/2019) on two Windows 7 computers. Same symptoms after installation of Webroot, where Windows Explorer stopped working, there was a message about the program being expired, the computers were slow to start up, and it was not possible to use the computers.

I found a pretty quick way to unlock them, by starting up in safe mode. I then disabled the Webroot service that is called WRSVC, and using MSConfig, unchecked Webroot SecureAnywhere in the startup. After reboot, I was able to log in normally and use the computer.

I then uninstalled by following instructions in this document: https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=17&vw=1&app=vw&solutionid=1101

Which basically says:
  1. Boot in safe mode with networking
  2. Run this command from the command line: C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe –uninstall
  3. (in my case it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Webroot\WRSA.exe –uninstall)
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Hi All,

I've seen this issue as well and it is a known issue that under certain circumstances and variables such as updates etc. that systems can become unresponsive etc...

I've obtained a newer point release that seems to resolve the issue. It's advised NOT to install this on known working systems until all QA is performed on this release. It's production ready just not public available.

Simply install this over top of your existing 9.0.24.37 PC agent release. Or, copy/paste the keycode of the client site as this install isn't site specific.

https://download.webroot.com/WSASME902446.exe

Hope this helps

Regards

John Hart
Webroot Luminary