Solved

Webroot is not catching pop up spams

• 31 January 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge
I am constantly receiving popups such as Norton Security has detected a virus and other such popups that I cannot get rid of without having to reboot my computer. Once I reboot it, I receive a message from Webroot that they have removed the "threat". Why are those items being caught before I have to reboot the computer? This is extremely annoying and time consuming. I thought that was the point of having the Webroot program installed. Thank you.
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 31 January 2019, 21:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello wordwiz, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. ☺️

Sorry that you're having problems with your computer. Did or have you Norton installed on your computer? Do you have an AdBlocker on your browser?

The fastest way to solve your problem is to contact Webroot Support.

Please submit a Support Ticket or Contact Webroot Support to sort this problem. This service is FREE with a Paid Subscription.
Support Ticket System is Open 24/7

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

HTH,
Dave.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
To answer your question as to why you have to reboot, some files and programs cannot be deleted, stopped, altered, and in many cases moved while still open or possibly running, and Webroot may not have the ability to stop everything associated with the files in question. So they are flagged for deletion on the next startup before they have a chance to load or run.

If you have ever used the task killer, you probably have encountered programs that you cannot kill regardless of your permission level.

Also, you really do not want to wait on every boot-up to scan your entire system to see if something should be killed and deleted. I recall the days of older virus detection programs having to do their full scan early as the machine booted. Problem is, most people just pressed stop and let the machine boot, never getting a full scan because they did not want to wait for it. I find the modern way much more friendly.

But what are you doing that you are "constantly" getting alerts? If you are going to places that may have viruses or malware, you might want to consider a "sand box" program to run the browser when you visit such places. I recommend "Sandboxie", a sand box program that will help keep you safe. You just right click on your browser and say "Run sandboxed". When you exit a sandboxed program, everything generated in the sand box can be deleted, which really helps protect your machine. Sandboxie costs about $21/year, and I find I using it anytime I work a website might not be what it pretends to be, so well worth it. (No, I do not work for them.) And then are other programs that do similar things. This is just an example of what I use.