Webroot Secure Anywhere

• 7 January 2015
  • 4 replies

I just installed Webroot Secure Anywhere on my new laptop. It came with McAfee. I can now uninstall McAfee, right?

Dwight

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
While Webroot will play nice with McAfee, I would still uninstal it as it uses many resources and is not required with Webroot. I would use the McAfee Total uninstall tool available here......................

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_consumer_product_removal_tool.html
Userlevel 7
Hi Zoomsterguy

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Absolutely you can as WSA protects you as wel if not even better than McAfee (but then again I would say that, wouldn't I) and with WSA you have the power of the Webroot Intelligence Network doing all the work in the Cloud...no definitions dowloads for you with WSA as all the definitions are updated & hels centrally in the Cloud, etc.. as shown below.

Just one small thing to check though on before you uninstall McAfee.  McAfee has its own firewall and so will disbale the Windows built in firewall when it installs, and there have been reports that it does not re-enable it when it is uninstalled.  WSA requires the that the Windows Firewall to be active to provide full protection (the Windows Firewall is very good at covering inbound connections and so Webroot have wisely dispensed with providing their own inbound protection relying on the built in one instead.  It does however provide its own outbound protection).

So do check and if you have any issues with re-enabling the Windows Firewall then please post back here and we can help you with that.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Just did that exact thing on 2 PC's. Interestingly webroot picked up a number of malware items that McAfee either overlooked or could not get rid of! More space on the tablet PC too which is nice
Userlevel 7
Hi Chequebutt

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Well said...if I may say so...and thanks for bringing up the point of how well suited WSA is to tablets running Win8/8.1 (I ahve one doing just that...and I forgot to mention it...must be the lightness of the installation that had gone to my head...;)).

Regards, Baldrick