Solved

webroot wifi security

Badge +1
Hello...Im a Gamer, can wifi security protect me from people trying to boot me while im online gaming?, Theres been times where people boot friends of mines in mid game and they tell me that they get booted completely offline and need to reboot their whole internet connections...
icon

Best answer by pstonethompson 3 May 2019, 12:45

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
@Gary0158 I have had a response from our client team. There are no additional DDoS mitigation features included with the product that would lead us to recommend it as a suitable product to protect you from being taken offline whilst gaming.

Good luck with all your future gaming sessions.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
I am trying to find out what, if any, protection this would give you from the VPN/client team.

As @TripleHelix says I don't thinking a VPN would stop your gaming device connection from being DDoS'd (which is how I'd imagine your friends connections are being taken offline - this is illegal in most juristictions), but since the IP address you are using in the game will not be that of the home router I'd imagine that at least it wouldn't affect your home connection and you would simply need to disconnect from the VPN in order to resume normal browsing if the VPN server was swamped or taken offline by a DDoS attack.

As far as I know we are not marketing the VPN to gamers and you should know that it is likely a VPN would add some latency to your connection by virtue of what it does. Even if the encryption and decryption of your traffic added zero latency, your traffic always has to be routed via the VPN server - and since the speed of light is constant there is no way of getting around the fact that further to travel will mean more time. I cannot conceive of any scenario where a route to a gaming server would be shorter via any additional point than directly from your home router. The time added is likely to be extremely small, as light is exceptionally fast, but it will exist. Additionally the time needed for your traffic to be encrypted and decrypted at both ends will be small but will always be above zero.

For most purposes that doesn't matter, but I do know for gaming it is vitally important that latency is as low as possible for that perfect headshot - so I do want to temper expectations that gaming is a good use case for VPN (although it may allow access to geo-restricted servers).

Our product is also a client application product, and we don't offer applications for XBox, Playstation or Switch so if you are a Console gamer then our products aren't going to be suitable. Some VPNs can be used directly from a compatible router, meaning all the traffic for all devices in your house uses the VPN, but then your entire internet throughput from the house would drop if the VPN server is swamped by DDoS traffic.

The only case where I could see a VPN making gaming faster is where an ISP is using traffic management to deprioritize gaming traffic (accidentally or on purpose) but VPN traffic is prioritized. If that was happening, and it was an option, I'd be inclinded to vote with my wallet and move ISPs - especially if you are a regular gamer.

In terms of the original DDoS problem, I'm not aware of any solutions for this targetted at home connections or routers. The solutions that do exist are expensive and targetted at websites and cloud providers, usually involving some kind of DNS solution - which can't help when attacks are targetted directly at an IP address. I am contacting the VPN client team to see if there is anything I have missed here or if they have any features I am unaware of.
Badge +1
thank you for your help, i guess ill just research what can help with that 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello @Gary0158 and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

I don't think a VPN will help with issues like that but we can ask a Webroot Staffer and see what he says! @pstonethompson

Thanks,