Solved

What does it mean when no green Webroot checkmarks appear on a Google search?

• 23 January 2017
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
New subscriber to Webroot Antivirus.  First few times after installation I noticed green checkmarks in a Google search meaning, I assume, they were Webroot approved.  This morning I noticed these checkmarks not appearing.  Is it dangerous to click on these?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 7 February 2017, 18:51

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello lynnbreitlow,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Would you tell us what browser you are having this issue with? Sometimes if you reboot your computer and open your browser and search again the green check marks will come back. Try that and let us know how it goes.

Please look here at the Webshields information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi lynnbreitlow

Just to add to Sherry's helpful reply, even if the safety ratings are not showing in your browser for some reason, the webshield will still be working and you are still protected. So even if you click on what Webroot considers a suspicious link, you will still get the relevant alert popping up to protect you.

Nemo
Userlevel 5
Badge +14
Hi This has happened a couple of times recently, indeed latest over the past weekend. Strangely when hovering the cursor over the extream left of the websites listed via the browser the rating in text form appeared although the ticks & warning icons did not. However this morning I found that the normal service was back up again, in all 3 browsers which I use, i.e.e Chrome.Firefox & Explorer.

I am wondering if the January 2017 Google roll out of security warnings against each title shown as an (website owner) indicating that the site is not secure is the problem. Anything which does not have the HTTPS security marking is now classed as not secure by Google. You can read about this Google initiative on www.nakedsecurity.sophos.com just for interest. That said I did not see anything published widely in the media. I don't see why it should interfere with the useful Webroot security rating that you refer to but with Google & Microsoft you never know.

Re your specific problem a week back when I had your current problem I contacted Webroot Support  & they sent me detailed guidance on how to check if the tick system was enabled. I carried out the checks- found that all were but that Explorer was not active. This weekend I rechecked and all 3 browsers were protected by the tick system.

Strangely this morning Google was showing Hotmail Outlook as HTTPS Secure. A short while ago, it was showing as insecure and now its HTTPS Secure again. As with most of Microsoft's improvements they are unreliable/unstable for quite some time after release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hello lynnbreitlow,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Would you tell us what browser you are having this issue with? Sometimes if you reboot your computer and open your browser and search again the green check marks will come back. Try that and let us know how it goes.

Please look here at the Webshields information.

What also works if you just shut down WSA and restart it works the same as a reboot and if it continues then I would suggest you Submit a Support Ticket and have Webroot support look into it. Also for Chrome make sure you get the Web Filter from the Chrome store if it's missing: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd/details

Userlevel 1
Internet Explorer
A simple reboot did the trick. Thank you!
Userlevel 5
Badge +14
Webroot, Dublin kindly 'phoned me this morning and having checked that  my PC is fully up to date with Webroot's latest update and that Webroot was enabled in all 3 browsers used on my PC, suggested that the cause of the temporary loss of the Green ticks down to Red warnings might well be the result of maintenance,although they would not expect the maintenance to impact on this system for a whole day. However whatever the cause my ticks etc were back in place when I logged in this morning. The possible maintenance trigger does seem a reasonable possibility as the failures occur on or adjoining a weekend as it is fairly common practice for 'house keeping' work to be done by IT engineers over the weekend down time. I was asked if I had ever seen grey dots or circles instead of ticks . I have. This also indicates mainteneance work. So unless the disappearance of the ticks etc is over a longer term than perhaps up to a day, it seems it is not an issue, and hovering the pointer over the items retrieved by the browser does initiate  the standard commentry, i.e Trustworthy etc.

Of course Webroot's stanadrd protection is still running so if a user were to hit a malicious website a warning or block would occur within seconds.

Anyway whatever the actual reason, once again Webroot support rode the the rescue at high speed and put my mind at rest, Sservice over & above the call of duty I would say. Long may it continue!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Webroot, Dublin kindly 'phoned me this morning and having checked that  my PC is fully up to date with Webroot's latest update and that Webroot was enabled in all 3 browsers used on my PC, suggested that the cause of the temporary loss of the Green ticks down to Red warnings might well be the result of maintenance,although they would not expect the maintenance to impact on this system for a whole day. However whatever the cause my ticks etc were back in place when I logged in this morning. The possible maintenance trigger does seem a reasonable possibility as the failures occur on or adjoining a weekend as it is fairly common practice for 'house keeping' work to be done by IT engineers over the weekend down time. I was asked if I had ever seen grey dots or circles instead of ticks . I have. This also indicates mainteneance work. So unless the disappearance of the ticks etc is over a longer term than perhaps up to a day, it seems it is not an issue, and hovering the pointer over the items retrieved by the browser does initiate  the standard commentry, i.e Trustworthy etc.

Of course Webroot's stanadrd protection is still running so if a user were to hit a malicious website a warning or block would occur within seconds.

Anyway whatever the actual reason, once again Webroot support rode the the rescue at high speed and put my mind at rest, Sservice over & above the call of duty I would say. Long may it continue!!
Next time it happens have a look here to see if BrightCloud is working as it should: http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/brightcloud-status.php
Userlevel 5
Badge +14
The Brightcloud link is new to me, and whilst showing all Greens which is comforting,I am afraid the  meaning of the  initial lettesr/acronyms is soemthing which I di not understand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ Green means is working as it should be that's all!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
@
Yes thanks for this. I just wondered what the various categories actually are.
Regards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@
Yes thanks for this. I just wondered what the various categories actually are.
Regards.
All of the Webroot BrightCloud Sevices!

Examples and these are older pictures so the Numbers have changed greatly since!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
@TrippleHelix, Wow, powerful. Most impressive. Makes me even more satified that I have Webroot on board!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@TrippleHelix, Wow, powerful. Most impressive. Makes me even more satified that I have Webroot on board!!
Yes it's awesome see these Video's!

Userlevel 5
This protection is valuable to me because I am a moderator on a forum and I have to vet links that people put up.  This is a useful tool in vetting links and identifying spam, even if the checkmark doesn't come up, Webroot still blocks the site if it is harmful.