Solved

What is a good and free vpn to use?

• 21 October 2014
  • 17 replies

What is a safe and free vpn to use when in publc on laptop, tablet or cell phones?
icon

Best answer by nic 21 October 2014, 17:40

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Well there are many good one's and the one I use at this time and well priced: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ they don't have support for iOS but Windows, OSX and Android mobiles. And the free one's I'm not sure how they can be trustworthy as they need money to keep it running right?

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Tunnelbear vpn would be best option
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It looks like WSA's Threat Shield does not like it.

Daniel

Why hide my 1st post ? I recommended best vpn review site where he can find best free vpn list 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I never hidden anything? Maybe one of the Webroot Staff?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
SecurityKiss is a good one.

If you care about your anonymity, you have to go for a paid vpn service. The people behind the vpn need money to make and keep you anonymous from all the sniffers and hackers who lurk in wifi networks in public places. Think about Google and Facebook. You use their services for free. But there is no free lunch in this world. They record your usage. They make your profile and your interests. And then sell those to advertisement companies. Voila and you see ads.

That's a lot of tracking. Now the sole purpose of using a VPN would be to avoid any sort of tracking. Using a free one and jeopardizing anonymity makes no sense at all.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Why hide my 1st post ? I recommended best vpn review site where he can find best free vpn list 
It may have gone into the spam file accidently. Maybe @ could check it out.
Userlevel 7
Odd that it took so long for it to dissapear though...   usually the anti spam engine gets things pretty quickly.  That post was up for several hours wasnt it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I don't know who moved it but the link you sent me via PM the Web Shield does not like it.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Our spam filter caught your first post, and the IP address you are posting from shows up in the stopforumspam.com database as suspicious.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
btw, there were some articles over the weekend warning against the dangers of using free VPN services, as they could be harvesting your data.  If you are going to use a VPN it's probably best to use one that you actually pay for.  Remember, if you aren't paying for the service then you aren't really the customer - whoever is buying your data is 🙂
I can highly suggest bVPN service according to my long personal experience, it is highly secured and stable service offering different servers all over the world, you can follow this link to get big offer https://www.bridgevpn.com/en/smoketunnel/
Userlevel 1
Remember, if the service or product is ostensibly free, then YOU are the commodity being sold!
Userlevel 7
I would emphatically disagree with that in this context...VPN providers cannot 'sell' users of their free service & would not get very far if they tried to. What they do is to just give one enough 'free' so that you want more and then opt for their paying service...that approach is as old as time. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Remember, if the service or product is ostensibly free, then YOU are the commodity being sold!

@ wrote:
I would emphatically disagree with that in this context...VPN providers cannot 'sell' users of their free service & would not get very far if they tried to. What they do is to just give one enough 'free' so that you want more and then opt for their paying service...that approach is as old as time. 
But maybe the free ones are not as secure compared to the paid versions and most of them leak, look here to check: https://vpntesting.info/
Userlevel 7
Very true, Daniel...however a free one is probably useful for very light users who only occassionally need to secure themselves/get some degree of protection on open WiFi hotspots.

I think that they are a good started and if one finds that one makes more use of them than expected then there is always the option to upgrade to a paid version, for better & more sustained protection.

Regards. Baldrick
I found a free VPN called Tunnel Bear that was recommended by PC Mag. It was one of the top picks  of 2018. It did not get the Editors Choice Award, the paid services got this, but of the free ones it was the best. Private Internet Access was one of the ones that got Editor's Choice. NordVPN was the only one that got 5 stars, but it is a paid service. I downloaded Tunnel Bear because it was recommended for Beginners and free, which is more suitable for me.