Why do I keep getting Astromenda as my browser?

• 2 December 2014
  • 3 replies

I keep getting Astromenda as my browser. webroot warns me and removes it but it keeps comming back! What keeps letting it back in?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello richhaster, welcome to the Webroot Community!

A brief history: a few weeks ago, Astromenda was not being recognized and removed by WSA.  It is not actually a virus, but is what we call a PUA.  Potentially Unwanted Application.  A type of browser hijacker as I recall.

Here on the Community, we saw quite a few questions about it and referred those affected to submit a Trouble Ticket for assistance removing it.

Since then, WSA has now had detection and removal added, but it appears that something was missed.  I have seen a couple of threads like yours in which the automatic removal did not get "everything".  Please submit a Trouble Ticket, this is free with your valid WSA license.  Webroot Support will help you get rid of it once and for all, as well as pass the information about the incomplete removal to the Dev teams to improve the automatic removal engine :)

I hope this helps, and thank you for your help in getting the removal fail fixed by providing more data to Webroot about this 🙂
Astromenda keeps making itself default browser. Webroot sometimes catches it but it keeps reocuring. how can I stop it? How is it getting in?
Userlevel 7
Please see the reply to your previous post on this issue.  :)