Blog

IoT in the Cybersecurity Landscape: Convenience vs Security

IoT in the Cybersecurity Landscape: Convenience vs Security

Show first post

57 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Tech enthusiasts: My entire house is smart. Tech workers: The only piece of technology in my house is a printer.

Love this!

Userlevel 2

Always great work, thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I watched Luther on Netflix recently - and they have a scene of attack through IoT devices (Alexa and the likes of smart devices)

It really does scare me knowing I am a consumer of these devices and that, these attacks are also inhibited in real world scenarios..

I just worry for the countless devices out there which are smart, not utilizing the correct security protocols.

Heck, i’ve got smart bed lamp bulbs and I feel like anyone can tap into those!

(l use a custom router at home to prevent such intrusions, but, you never know what can happen!)

Userlevel 4

Very good read.

I agree that many IoT devices are most likely not necessary so why take the risk.  Also IoT devices should somehow automatically update as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

IOT as a potential security risk just fills me with horrors. Half tempted to sling half my home tech out!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

For me the dumbest device I’ve come across is a smart refrigerator that will allow you to set/change the temperature settings from your phone. I don’t understand why this is a thing - add a camera so I can see if I’m low on milk, eggs, etc and I’m in, but I have no need to adjust the temperature from a smartphone!

Userlevel 3

Great article really highlighting the risks of internet connected devices.  Although I knew about the wall of sheep from Defcon, the Thermostat in the fish tank as an access point is crazy to think about,.

More articles on the emerging  standardisation of IoT security would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

For me the dumbest device I’ve come across is a smart refrigerator that will allow you to set/change the temperature settings from your phone. I don’t understand why this is a thing - add a camera so I can see if I’m low on milk, eggs, etc and I’m in, but I have no need to adjust the temperature from a smartphone!

Imagine the worst crime you could pull off hacking into a refrigerator…

“Man gets arrested for locking in sub-zero temperature on smart fridge… currently sentenced to death by north pole”

Great Article @TylerM , learn something new everyday!

Great article, very insightful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I watched Luther on Netflix recently - and they have a scene of attack through IoT devices (Alexa and the likes of smart devices)

It really does scare me knowing I am a consumer of these devices and that, these attacks are also inhibited in real world scenarios..

I just worry for the countless devices out there which are smart, not utilizing the correct security protocols.

Heck, i’ve got smart bed lamp bulbs and I feel like anyone can tap into those!

(l use a custom router at home to prevent such intrusions, but, you never know what can happen!)

Yes. I watched that too. It was rather scary seeing iot devices being used by a serial killing terrorist!

Userlevel 4

I could understand why people want and why IoT is so successful because i’m really fond of its practical use and technology behind it.

Yet, i don’t have any IoT device at home or at work because i know of the security risk that’s out there. And i’ll never use any IoT that requires any cloud resource to properly work, i prefer hosting my own data.

People need to understand that an unsupervised internet-connected device is just like leaving your front door open with a welcome sign.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

People need to understand that an unsupervised internet-connected device is just like leaving your front door open with a welcome sign.

Love this analogy. Describes IoT perfectly! 👍🏻

Userlevel 2

IoT devices are simultaneously the best and worst thing in a home or business environment.  The convenience of devices like Amazon Echo/Google Home, smart bulbs, smart fridges, etc is incredible, but the security risk of those devices is terrifying.  Always set up a dedicated VLAN for IoT devices when you can!

Userlevel 1

Great Article. I’m a big fan of IoT devices so this gives me a lot to think about! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

While I find the "convenience" of IoT "necessary" in my life, I do understand and appreciate the security concerns.

In a business environment, our first lines of defense is to isolate by vLAN the external and lateral connectivity of devices, and also running them through a very restrictive Webroot policy for DNS on anything that does need to "reach out and touch someone".

What other tactics and processes are others using?

Userlevel 4

Thanks for this.  I always laugh that people have advised me that you can’t use an Huawei phone for example, because “China is listening in!!!” but then go home and turn on their Alexa, while putting everything they do on Facebook. There is far too much technology in the home nowadays, but when I say things like that, I just feel old before my time

Userlevel 3

As always, great work! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

IoT is a potentially huge problem and highlights the need to know what assets are connected to your business network. Device connection policies are a must and network segmentation is a must. Don’t let people connect their personal devices to the main network and don’t put your thermostat on the same segment as your file server.

Userlevel 5

Excellent Article! cheers @TylerM 

Smart vac connected to home network with hard-coded admin creds would be the dumbest, smart IoT device ever ;)  or any IoT with preset and hard-coded credentials, these should be avoided and the manufacturers mocked and shamed til they removed the product….

Userlevel 3

Great article. Thank you!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m still waiting for my toilet to be turned into an IoT device.

Too far?

Too far.

On a serious note, great read, thank you Tyler. 

Userlevel 7

Too far?

Too far.

It’s not finished until the Paperwork is done. LOL

https://thenextweb.com/news/toilet-paper-automatic-smart-monitor

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Too far?

Too far.

It’s not finished until the Paperwork is done. LOL

https://thenextweb.com/news/toilet-paper-automatic-smart-monitor

Well there are Bidet's I don't know if there any IoT Bidet's? 🤣 https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-uplus-launches-iot-for-bathrooms-with-wi-fi-bidet-toilet/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Toilet humour…