• 24 December 2022
  • 34 replies
Zero Trust: Hype vs. Reality

Show first post

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

👍🏻 @khumphrey 

Most of the time I don’t really notice a speed issue over vpn. I guess it does depend on what you’re doing

Depends on which VPN service you’re using and how far the server you’re using is from your at! There’s many factors to consider. I use IVPN and it’s fast on most of there servers.

True. Certainly a few factors to consider. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

👍🏻 @khumphrey 

Most of the time I don’t really notice a speed issue over vpn. I guess it does depend on what you’re doing

Depends on which VPN service your using and how far the server your using is from your at! There’s many factors to consider. I use IVPN and it’s fast on most of there servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

👍🏻 @khumphrey 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MajorHavoc ,

This is a very fair critique of that statement. I definitely agree that there is a loss of speed when using a VPN, but that loss of speed/latency is usually not noticeable in everyday web browsing. I even play video games on VPN without much latency using NordVPN. However, I’m probably being too relaxed in my current description of that downside. I’ll edit that statement accordingly!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah. I see. I misunderstood that bit. Agree with you there

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I do not disagree Russell. As have I. I was just pointing out that the statement made in the article was incorrect.  Saying “...there’s rarely a noticeable difference in connection speeds when using a VPN” is just completely incorrect. There is always a noticeable difference in my experience using VPN. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve always just accepted that it’s part of the trade off to having the security of vpn

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I agree with Russel. This is an excellent article. And some very good points. I’ve always liked the idea of zero trust, but it can be difficult to manage in a large organization. 

I do take exception with one item:

”VPN servers have become so numerous and fast in recent history that there’s rarely a noticeable difference in connection speeds when using a VPN. “

While they are numerous, I have never found one that is as fast as my fiber connection. I have 1 Gbps connection, and I have yet to find a VPN that runs faster than 75 mbps. And with new 5G networks running in the 300+ mbps or better speeds, it makes a difference even on mobile. 

OK, that is fairly fast still, but the statement is inaccurate. VPNs will slow your connection, and it is noticeable. And latency is also very noticeable. 

I’ve tried at least 25 different providers and yet to find one that runs at even half speed. Recommendations anyone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Superb article. I think these days you have to go with zero trust.

when we are onboarding a new client or performing our yearly reviews of client’s infrastructure, we apply zero trust now. It’s the best way to capture any vulnerabilities instead of assuming that the previous review covered everything