• 24 December 2022
  • 34 replies
Zero Trust: Hype vs. Reality

Show first post

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

👍🏻 @khumphrey 

Most of the time I don’t really notice a speed issue over vpn. I guess it does depend on what you’re doing

Depends on which VPN service your using and how far the server your using is from your at! There’s many factors to consider. I use IVPN and it’s fast on most of there servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I will agree that if just browsing or playing simple games you probably not going to notice a big difference, probably more so if always on VPN, you “get used to your speed” after a bit. 

But put two identical machines said by side, one on VPN and the other not, and do the same things, you will notice increased latency and slower speeds in general.

A big factor though is how fast your connection is. If the VPN can match your speed you might not see much change at all. But, if like me, you have 1Gb fiber, I have yet to find a VPN that can match that speed.  The best so far has been about 30% of that speed. So I see a big difference on VPN. That said, I use it most of the time anyway. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think pretty much any security applied to anything will slow things down. It’s the trade off I guess

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Security is like the good and bad all rolled into one. You want it but you don’t want the delay. Doesn’t matter if it’s digital security or security like airport security. You find it annoying and it slows you down but you wouldn’t want to be without it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve always just accepted that it’s part of the trade off to having the security of vpn

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah. I see. I misunderstood that bit. Agree with you there

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

👍🏻 @khumphrey 

Most of the time I don’t really notice a speed issue over vpn. I guess it does depend on what you’re doing

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

👍🏻 @khumphrey 

Depends on which VPN service you’re using and how far the server you’re using is from your at! There’s many factors to consider. I use IVPN and it’s fast on most of there servers.

True. Certainly a few factors to consider. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let’s hope vpn holds up better over time. Things can only get better!