Endpoints not seen recently, not on latest version

• 28 January 2016
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
I've seen several posts on this subject already, with no clear resolution.

We have 50+ sites, with random endpoints that are "not seen recently" and are all on a previous version of Webroot (not the most current). My assumption is that the endpoints have just stopped "checking in" with the console and are not upgrading as they should.  We have hundreds of endpoints in this state.

The fix I've seen is "reinstall Webroot" but I have yet to see a solution to the root cause.

We're a Continuum partner, so we're not supposed to contact Webroot directly, but I don't see any other way to get this resolved.  Can anyone offer advice here?  This is a pretty big problem for us (and I'm not the only one, others in the Continuum forums have the same issue).

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
When was the last time you tried the reinstall fix on those machines?
Userlevel 1
Not sure I understand the reason behind the question.  Why do you ask?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Apparently there was a prior build that was prone to this disconnection problem, and I believe it's been fixed. So if you do a reinstall to the latest version today then they might stop disappearing from here on out.
Userlevel 1
I looked at one site that has about 10 endpoints "not seen recently".

Here are versions where this is happening.  I checked and all these machines are currently online, so it's not like the machines have been shut down or anything.

That's one site.  We have about 49 others.

Can I just script an install 'over the top' without first removing Webroot, or do I have to uninstall first?  I've seen discussions on this and I haven't seen a clear answer there either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So at least one of them is on the newest build, which is 9.0.7.42

Yes you can just reinstall over the top.  That's what the update does anyway, so it's totally fine.

I'd say get all of them on the most recent build, then see which ones are still not checking in and we can have support pull logs to investigate.
Userlevel 1
Well, the newest build seems to be 9.0.7.46 actually.

Tried scripting (via Continuum provided install script) a reinstall on one test machine that is on 9.0.4.7. Script ran successfully, but no change in status (still shows on 9.0.4.7 and not seen recently). 

Guess I'll wait awhile and see if anything changes.

This whole situation is a giant pain. A function as critical as client/server communication should never break like this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh yeah you are right - there were some fixes in 9.0.7.46. That's strange that the reinstall didn't update properly. Let me put in a ticket for this one to see why it isn't reinstalling.
Userlevel 1
Well, I don't know whether what I did fixed it or what, but after waiting awhile and not seeing that the endpoint had updated and checked in, I ran a script to force Webroot to check in (wrsa.exe -poll I think), and now it shows 9.0.7.46 and working.

I'll try this across the board and see how far I can get.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok cool - let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 1
Ok, the "force checkin" script seems to at least get the endpoint talking to the console again.

I tested with another endpoint (not seen recently, running 9.0.4.7).  Just ran the "force checkin" script without first running the reinstall script. Almost immediately, it's "protected" and last seen just now.  

Should the console automatically upgrade the endpoint, given that it's on a pretty old version, or do I have to run my reinstall script to get it to upgrade?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It should - but then again the endpoints should be checking in 🙂 It can't hurt to reinstall just to make sure.
Userlevel 1
It took a little while, but the endpoint upgraded on it's own.

I'll run the "force checkin" script across the board.
Userlevel 1
I told support to close the ticket you opened, Nic, since the endpoint did install eventually.

I've found that a combination of "force checkin" and install scripts can get most endpoints working correctly again.

However, Continuum's "install Webroot" script is pushing out version 8.0.8.76, which isn't even close to the latest version.  I'm taking it up with them to get this updated to something more recent.

I'll see if the endpoints on 8.0.8.76 upgrade themselves to 9.0.7.46.  As far as I can see, there's no "upgrade endpoint" command in the console (why not?), that would be handy.

Not holding my breath.
Userlevel 1
Amazingly enough, the servers are upgrading themselves to 9.0.7.46.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's weird that their scripts use an older installer. But if the install solves the checkin problem then they should update as soon as they talk to our servers, which is what you are seeing.
Hi all,
i can confirm i've exactly the same issue even adopting the last agent version. 
where would you place the gpo to force the agent pool? (wrsa.exe -poll)
at user logon time?
Regards
Giorgio
Userlevel 1
We also has this same issue - machines just drop off and then age as not seen in the console - with many hundreds of machines over many many sites it's just not practical to have to baby this along, reinstalling to get them back on board etc  and this has been an issue for a very long time.

Are there some practical suggestions for forcing a pool built into WR policy that can be turned on - ? Remeber soem of these machine s are no part of a doamin and are workgrouped or singles - GPO is not going to solve for everyone.

Suggestions?
Userlevel 7
@, I'm not aware if we have available what you're asking, but I suggest reaching out to our Support Team directly for further assistance: Business Technical Support: Call 1-866-254-8400
Open a Support Ticket: http://mysupport.webrootanywhere.com/supportwelcome.aspx?SOURCE=ENTERPRISEWSA