How many of you are still stuck with XP?

• 11 February 2014
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
If so, what are your plans after EOL?  According to this article, 37% of organizations surveyed are just going to keep using it even though there will be no patches or security updates.  You guys having trouble making a case for upgrades or are your organizations on top of it?

14 replies

Userlevel 5
I have 2 xp boxes left, ones not networked and running a critical app I don't have install media for, and I can't remember why I didnt kill the other one but I had a reason (i hate XP so if I didnt have a good reason it would have been gone a long time ago). Plan is to kill both of the surviving xp boxes asap.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's good.  Hopefully you don't have any critical XP-only apps running.  I've heard horror stories of sysadmins stuck with Windows 95 boxes because there is that one app that won't run on anything newer.
Userlevel 5
the non networked box is our keycard system's controller, I needed an excuse to upgrade to a more modern controller software and planning on using EOL to help justify it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good idea.  Better to be on a system that is actually supported by a vendor anyway, rather than a legacy system that you can't get help with when it breaks.
Userlevel 5
Yea that xp box is in the process of dieing, only the lack of a non OEM xp license and lack of time prevents me from virtualizing it... That and I need a crisis to justify it's replacement 😛
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
We have a couple left running some older software...the hope is to phase those out with a newer version...we dropped the XP train way back at the station and charged head on into Vista (which taught us some important lessons for Windows 7, and are about halfway between Win 7, 8, and 8.1)

Couldn't get rid of it fast enough...was great for the time but now is just a massive headache.  (I'm sure there are others out there that would certainly disagree with me.)

We us a heavily customized Win 8/8.1 setup currently...very much optimized for the desktop (so it doesn't scare the end users too much :p)
Userlevel 5
yea derpy users who refused to learn how to use 8 slowed down our changeover from 7 to 8 >< I'd love to be pure 8 or 8.1 after I got used to it I strongly prefer it to 7

one thing I've always wondered though how does win 7  = win 7 the math doesnt add up, counting up from win 3.11...
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
My guess is they needed the luck after Vista ;)

Just kidding!  We really didn't have too many issues w/ Vista...but we could definitely tell that it was a "heavier" system...

We were able to beef up our systems before the roll out so wasn't really an issue.
Userlevel 5
yea at the time I really didn't mind vista
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
yea at the time I really didn't mind vista
ME still takes the prize for worst version ever.
Userlevel 5
pre SP 95 was pretty bad too
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
ME!!! ARGH!!

95...just try plugging in one of those new fangled USB thingys and see what you get! Hope you like the color blue 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
ME!!! ARGH!!

95...just try plugging in one of those new fangled USB thingys and see what you get! Hope you like the color blue :-)
Yeah, I had an ME laptop I had to support - nothing but trouble.  95 was the first version I had to use in a work capacity and it was pretty decent.
Userlevel 5
it was, when it wasnt blue screening.

it got a lot better after they started dropping SPs