Solved

Override Webroot blocking access to a website

• 18 March 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
There have been a lot of times that I have had a call from a customer who is complaining that Webroot is blocking access to a Website that they have accessed many times before, and that others in the company (and also myself) who are using Webroot are not affected.

I have also checked the Webroot Brightcloud website checker which has showen the website to be trustworthy.

The only way I had gotten around this in the past was to set the policy to 'Unmanaged' and allow the customer to click 'continue' and enter the captcha code which created the override, then changing the policy back.

Recently, I tried using a MD5 hash generator and translating 'http://www.example.com' into a MD5 and creating an override for that MD5 as good.

The customer responded shortly to advise that they can now get through, but part of me thinks it may just be a coincidence.

Would / should this work to allow access to mistakenly blocked websites? Would definitely be a much quicker and practical solution which also makes us and Webroot look better as we are seen to manage it better.

Many thanks!
Andrew
icon

Best answer by nic 18 March 2015, 15:57

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry you're having this issue.  Since the Brightcloud lookup is showing as valid, then this sounds like a pesky intermittent bug that we've been trying to track down, where the client is blocking some websites even though they show as valid.  If you haven't contacted support yet, would you mind doing so, so that they can collect logs?  They'll also be able to help figure out a better way to do the overrides when this happens.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks for your reply. I have not contacted support because the problem seemed to be resolved (plus I did not have the exact PC details and times etc). Just generally wondering if creating a MD5 from the web URL (using a hash generator website) and creating an override with that MD5 would actually work (like it seemed to do with the issue recently). Any thoughts? Next time I will make sure I have the appropriate info and contact the support team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The MD5 hashes are just for files - for the URL lookups those get sent directly to our database.  Next time it happens, definitely call in and we'll be able to help you.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Fantastic - thanks!