Webroot affecting USB Scanners

• 26 April 2016
  • 4 replies

Hello!

I work as an IT technician for my company and we've recently decided to use Webroot as our main anti-virus internally.

However, upon installing onto the machines in the warehouse; the USB plug-and-play barcode scanners were not working at all.

I theorised it was the firewall and played around with the config until the firewall was disabled on these endpoints.

Now after installing the software, the scanners are reading barcodes incorrectly and entering them into the system (Excel/Netsuite) incorrectly too.

As you can imagine, this is a real hassle for the warehouse staff as they rely heavily on their scanners.

Any ideas? (All are accepted)

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi AWCB

Welcome to the Community Forums.

You have actually posted in the Consumer/Home section of the Community rather than, as I suspect that you should have done, in the Business section...where I would assume that you may find members with more experience of the Endpoint Secuirty version.

I can move the thread over to the Business Section if that would help...just let me know.

Regards, Baldrick
That's be great, thankyou
Userlevel 7
Hi AWCB

Done...as requested. ;)

Hope that the Business specific Community will be able to assist with this.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Hey,

Have you checked to see if the software is being picked up as an "unknown?"

You can do this by going to the reports tab of your site and then running a report for All Undetermined Software Seen. Then look for anything referencing the software/driver used to install or run the handhelds. If so, place a check box next to all of those and create an override (marking as GOOD), the apply to the policy your systems are using to allow the software to run.

What sometimes happens even though it's not harmful, Webroot might be suspicious of the driver or software as it's not "seen" it before. So it will go into a monitor type mode and start watching the behaviour of the file/process and if it does something might possibly block it. This can cause some minor bugs/glitches with very customized software installs.

You can also create a whitelist for the entire folder where the software is located by going to the Overrides Tab, then create and use the file/path option to create a whitelist entry for the problematic software.

Hope this helps a bit.

John