Internet Service from an RV

• 9 March 2022
  • 8 replies

What should I be aware of when choosing an internet service for traveling in an RV?

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

So I assume you will have two options: Local WiFi if parked, and your cell service when WiFi is not available.  While your local cell service is more secure than WiFi, you might want to consider Webroot’s Secure WiFi service. Basically a VPN, it will encrypt your traffic in both directions for protection on unsecured networks.  You can check it out here: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/sem/vpn-wifi-security

I use this product and it works well. If you already have a VPN service, just be sure to turn it on when on unsecured networks. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I you are going to desolate places without cell service you have a third option, which is satellite. You might also need to check if you have mobile phone coverage when you travel to different countries. For local WiFi you can improve range with an external antenna.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I you are going to desolate places without cell service you have a third option, which is satellite. You might also need to check if you have mobile phone coverage when you travel to different countries. For local WiFi you can improve range with an external antenna.

Good point. I always forget about satellite service. Are there “portable” units that can be used for car and camping? 

On international travel, one of the reasons I switched to T-Mobile is that its parent company is Deutsche Telekom, and they offer service in most European countries, and in some case 2G and 3G service is included in your package for free, and upgraded speeds were very reasonable. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

In the EU region (not all Europe an countries) there is a law that obliges providers to charge equally for services no matter which country you are in. So if you do come to Europe, it might be very beneficial to get simcard from a European provider.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

In the EU region (not all Europe an countries) there is a law that obliges providers to charge equally for services no matter which country you are in. So if you do come to Europe, it might be very beneficial to get simcard from a European provider.

If you do this (which I have in the past) you may want to bring an old phone along to put your US card into if anyone might need to contact you in an emergency. When you use a different SIM, unless you have a dual SIM phone, replacing the SIM  will change your phone number as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If I was travelling to europe maybe look into a 4g Hotspot Something similiar to this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M7350-Portable-Unlocked-management/dp/B06XC16QC1/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=4G%2BHotspot&qid=1650318354&sr=8-5&th=1

I too agree with the recommendation of M7350, providing great service and longevity. Came to know while researching with my essay writer, Huawei E5576-320 also seems to be good. Though the battery life is shorter than M7350, but it is really affordable and can connect upto 10 devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Check out Starlink for Rvs  -  STARLINK FOR RVs

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Check out Starlink for Rvs  -  STARLINK FOR RVs

I was not happy with Starlink. It will give you internet in places even where cell service will not work.  But it was not cheap, and it was not fast. In fact, just the opposite. Latency is awful because the signal has to go up and down from the satellite TWICE (up and down to the site, and then up and down back to you.) The pure physics  say 550 milliseconds if everything works properly. Add the ground latency and the site latency, and you may see interaction latency as much as 1 second or more. That may not sound like much, but it gets annoying. 

The median download speed of satellite service in the US is 62.53Mbps. You will not be streaming much video with that. 

But if you plan to be out in the boonies with no cell service, this may be your only choice.