Solved

2 new processes

Hey guys this is my first post…

After a Webroot update,  task manager is showing 2 more processes , WRCoreService.x64 and WRSkyClient.x64.I know someone already posted about it but i still don’t have any info on those 2 and what they are for.

Also as a customer who likes lightweight software, watching 2 extra processes from my AV without any info is not the best.I would love to see all those processes (4 in my case) grouped into 1.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 23 June 2020, 17:45

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @haxzion 

Yes there are 4 processes now.

This is all the info that Webroot will tell us about them:

Hello,

Starting tomorrow we will update your Consumer Community Beta systems to include a set of new files and processes.

Only systems at Windows 7 or higher will receive the update.

New files will be added in these locations:

C:\ProgramData\WRCore\CoreService

C:\ProgramData\WRCore\SkyClient\DB

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Components

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Core

C:\Windows\System32\drivers (WRCore.x64.sys)

And two new processes will run:

WRCoreService.x64.exe

WRSkyClient.x64.exe

There are no changes to the existing agent installation on your system.

We are interested to learn of any performance or stability issues you encounter after this update.

Thanks,

Brad

Performance wise nothing changed it’s running smooth but 4 processes for a lightweight cloud based AV?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Like I said Webroot will not tell us anymore about these new files and processes. They don’t want the Malware Authors to know any details behind Webroot’s protections! :wink:

Got it.Thanks for the info

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

For anyone that finds this thread, please contact Webroot support if you’re having issues.

To clarify a few things.

1. These services are not Beta as of mid-year 2020. They are full production services and part of the core agent.
  2. They perform a few different functions around communication and efficiency with the agent as well as extend new security shield enhancements being released.
  3. The agent is undergoing a redesign/rearchitectural over-haul for many reasons which include, better performance, rapid release deployment and future extensibility as shields are updated or become feature rich.

While it was noted that all things should be wrapped into 1 service as was before, the modern issue with that approach is testing and inefficiency as the shields change/grow. Updating a single binary is much less efficient than updating modules. It’s also more efficient for trouble-shooting to focus efforts on an isolated service/module vs a single binary with many coded aspects that are not always apparent.

For these reasons, the agent will be different than it was in the past. The goal/intent is still to offer a small install footprint.

Hope that helps.

Shane - Sr Solutions Consultant

Do these additional services still exist  in version 9.0.30.75? I only see the wrsvc on all the various clients in production. This is a new subscription so  the version above  is the version first installed on all the systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @phily2020 

Are you a Consumer or a Business user? Yes they are there in the Consumer version but it’s best to hear from @coscooper  or @dstokes1 for the Business side.

Thanks,

using business version of secureanywhere endpoint protection

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

using business version of secureanywhere endpoint protection

Have to wait to see what the Webroot Staff have to say as I’m not sure about the Business Client. @coscooper  @dstokes1  @GeorgeA  @khumphrey 

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

The two new services Sky/Core were suspended in new installs in this interim version, 9.0.30.75 on the business side and will return in next release. If they were already installed from 9.0.30.72 or previous, they will stay in place if the endpoint is updated to 9.0.30.75. However, .75 is an interim version until a few issues with memory/cpu addressing are corrected. I do not have a timeline on when next GA will be released. However, security is not diminished, just not using these two more efficient/higher performance, future proof services. 8-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Thanks Shane!

Cheers,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

These are the files I have and Note I’m running the Beta version of .75 Consumer so files and file version numbers could be different.

Click on Picture to see full size!

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

@TripleHelix  - that is the latest core/sky services for next release that has the fixes included, previous for biz was only 1.1. We do release GA to consumer consoles (Beta or GA) a week or two ahead of business consoles (Beta a week or so ahead of that) to keep the backend servers from getting overloaded. I believe biz update will probably follow in a few weeks (Beta first), if not sooner. Here’s what one of my “test” units running production with beta grabwords look like for biz side. Notice it just gets CoreService and SkyClient - no SvcHost (yet) 8-)

Biz haven’t recv’d the 1.2.x versions yet. Any day now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Yes I understand we are Beta testing for Brad! :wink:

Thanks,