Just bought a 3 seat subscription to Internet Security Plus. Activates correctly on my Windows 10 PC where I originally installed trial software. Same keycode activates correctly on a 2nd Windows 10 PC that had never had trial software installed. On 3rd Windows 10 PC that had trial software installed with a different keycode, the purchased keycode won’t activate. I get an error that the keycode cannot be activated. I’ve uninstalled the trial software, rebooted, scoured the computer for any folders, config files, and registry keys that could be remembering that the trial was installed and can’t find anything.
Best answer by SteveBinBWView original
Welcome to the Community Forum!
Sorry to hear you’re having issues getting this 3rd PC to work with your 3-count activation code. My suggestion is reaching out to our SUPPORT TEAM via ticket or a phone call. They can look at your subscription status and make sure that nothing is going wrong on the back-end.
Please let me know how that goes!
Thanks again, Keenan. I very much appreciate the follow-up. I just figured out the problem and the third seat is now working correctly. I’ll share the fix here in case this may be helpful to others with this problem.
It turns out there was a registry key left over from the trial software that was not removed by an uninstall. The path to the leftover key is this: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\webroot. Just deleted that whole key and related subkeys, then rebooted. Installation and keycode activation worked perfectly after that.
If/when I hear back from tech support, I’ll share this with them as well. The uninstall process should remove that registry key automatically. I found this by doing a Find within registry editor for the working keycode on my Windows 10 PC. For some reason, on a paid version of the installation, the key is called WRData but on a trial version the key is called webroot.
Thanks for the reply. I opened a support ticket yesterday morning but haven’t gotten a response yet which is why I tried asking the question here. Hoping for an answer while I’m waiting for support’s response.
Kind of feels like there’s some leftover file somewhere from the trial software that the new installer is detecting. Just need to figure out how to get rid of it.
Unfortunately our Support team is the only department that can look at subscription/account status. If I could do this for you I would’ve done it immediately!
Almost everyone in the Webroot team is finally back from holiday vacations so they’re likely playing catch-up on support tickets. Please give it another couple of days and then let me know if they still haven’t gotten back to you. Thank you so much for your patience.
Awesome! I’m happy to hear that your IT knowledge came in handy to figure this out yourself. This is extremely useful knowledge!
Thanks for following up and keeping us updated.