Computer asks to save random file after logging back in from sleep mode

• 10 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I’ve had this long running problem (for about 2 years) where a “save as” dialog box appears on my laptop after I log back in after it’s been asleep asking me to save a file of unknown type (the box only gives me the option to save it as an “all files” type). I figure it’s some sort of virus, but I don’t know what it’s trying to accomplish. I never save the file and always choose “cancel,” but I don’t know what will make it stop and whether my laptop is compromised in any way. To be sure, the dialog box appears despite not having chosen to download anything either before or after my laptop went to sleep - it appears randomly. 

I’ve included an image below of the “save as” dialog box in case it helps. Also, I’m using a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro running on Windows 10 with an active Webroot Internet Security Plus subscription which I’ve had for about 4 years. Any help as to how to resolve this problem would be much appreciated, thank you!

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you turn off your computer, turn it back on, put it to sleep, and then wake it up, does this still happen? I’d recommend troubleshooting with different programs open while putting it to sleep. It’s hard to say if this is a browser that is forcing a download upon wake up or something else.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I’ve shut down my laptop many times over the past few years, restarted it many times, downloaded and installed all the updates that Windows tells me to do (which it actually does automatically, and frequently), and yet this still keeps happening. Moreover, every daily Webroot sweep of my computer turns up no problems, it always tells me that my laptop is fine.

Although my laptop is old and has many problems, I’m not sure how much this issue (if it’s indeed a virus) has any role in any of it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.