Solved

*Firewall not working in according to PCMag review

Userlevel 2

Hello there  🙂

I am trialing Webroot I S Complete  again--I was a past user and really liked it a few years ago and coming round to possibly getting it again.

I recently read Neil Rubinking’s  in depth review of Webroot and he mentioned the firewall wasn’t working at that point in time, which seemed pretty concerning to me.   Just wondered if users were ever notified/aware of this issue during that time?  And also, if it has been fixed?

Thank you for your past helpful hints on this forum and for reading my question.  

Sincerely,

• Jeff   
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 21 May 2022, 15:20

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @magrittian 

The Firewall is working fine as Webroot fixed it in PC version 9.0.31.79

and I test it every once in awhile!

“We will publish a new PC agent version 9.0.31.79 for the Consumer

Changes in this build include:

1. Full firewall functionality is restored for outbound communications.
  2. Updated UI to include OpenText branding with dynamic Year.Quarter designation.
  3. UI changes so most references to “Backup & Sync” are now “Backup”.
  4. Stop injecting into to Chrome to prevent Chrome issues while we investigate reports.
  5. Install on Vista systems is moved to a terminal grabword.  Customers can install this grabword which will no longer update.
  6. Agent will open to the keycode tab on the account screen if installation is attempted and the agent is already installed. An new keycode can be entered here.
  7. The agent will check for and apply new proxy settings when the user changes.
  8. The WRSkyClient and WRCoreService processes will exit when the WSA agent is shutdown (requires the upcoming Genesis 1.4 components).
  9. Harden appearance and availability of the Scan with Webroot context menu entry.”

And the current release version is:  https://community.webroot.com/home-product-releases-27/consumer-pc-agent-version-9-0-32-58-351169

Thanks,

Userlevel 2

Hi TripleHelix!

Hey, thank you for the very quick reply!  I had not seen that specific updated list beforehand.  

Please take care,

• Jeff :)  
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hi @magrittian 

It was from the Beta Group so they didn’t detail it in the release notes but just as bug fixes!

Cheers,

Userlevel 2

Hi TripleHelix,

Oh I see--yeah that’s strange Rubinking would have been testing the beta version and/or didn’t realize it!

Anyway, thank you again for response,

• Jeff 
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hi TripleHelix,

Oh I see--yeah that’s strange Rubinking would have been testing the beta version and/or didn’t realize it!

Anyway, thank you again for response,

• Jeff 

PC version 9.0.31.79 was never released to the Public as it was a Beta but version 9.0.31.84 was released: https://community.webroot.com/home-product-releases-27/consumer-pc-agent-version-9-0-31-84-348726 before that the Firewall had issues but was fixed!

Also post the link to Rubinking’s article please!

Userlevel 2

Hi TripleHelix,  :)

Sorry about slight delay in responding back--yes, here is the link to the PCMag most recent review (even though Rubinking reviewed all three ‘tiers/levels’ from straight antivirus to Complete with added links to jump from one review to the next, and also mentions the firewall situation in all three reviews:  

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/webroot-secureanywhere-antivirus

I can see why though some readers may be concerned since he wondered if it was some type of ‘quality control’ issue but then surprised if it was a beta version he was testing wasn’t notified of that to take that into consideration?!    As you know oftentimes he will update his past review accordingly, but just thought maybe you would want to be aware of it….

Please take care and thanks for your input/help again!

•  Jeff