Solved

New to Webroot and Very Confused

• 27 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +3
Long story short, I am a Dish Network subscriber duped into one of their Protect Plans and it included Webroot Internet Security Plus for three devices. They stated it was completely cloud based, required no downloads/installs, but provided virus and malware protection. Did not make sense to me how the protection could be achieved without installing anything, but was told the Plan was only be $2.99/mo and decided to try it. Then I created my Webroot account, quickly learning I was lied to since I had to download an app to my MacBook and install extensions to my browsers. Since discovering I was lied to about the Plan price that is actually $12.99, and promptly demanded Dish remove it from my bill.

Unfortunately, I do not even know if I get to keep the Webroot Internet Security Plus for three devices or not, and am waiting to hear back from Webroot support because Dish somehow did not know.

So, in the event that I do get to keep the service, there are a couple things I would like cleared up that have me a bit confused.

First, does Internet Security Plus in fact offer protection from viruses and malware, because I see no mention of or settings for these in my account (online or in app)?

Second, is mobile security on iOS really only available by installing a Webroot browser, rather than an app that works with the native browser (I have all Apple devices which rely on Keychain Access)?

The above is likely a dealbreaker for me, but in the event my father wants to add his iOS device, does he create is own account and have his own console? Or would he use my account somehow and that is what the dropdown menu at the top of my account that says, "Unnamed Console" is for?

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge!
icon

Best answer by Eagle20 2 October 2019, 03:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello @Eagle20 Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum.

As you have stated that you are running ALL Apple products.

Internet Security Plus on your Mac does protects against viruses and malware. It works a little different compared to working on a PC. On a PC WSA is 100% cloud based where as on a Mac it isn't 100% cloud based.

This is from Support for the Mac Computer:

The Mac version of the Webroot SecureAnywhere is traditional signature based antivirus and does not have a journaling feature similar to the Windows cloud based protection, however it does feature a realtime shield which does monitor and files for malicious activity and block based on heuristic rules. The Mac version does also have additional layers of protection to the signature based virus detection.

Here is the Mac User Guide:
https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_mac_userguide/wsa_mac_userguide.htm

As for your iOS devices, may be @Ssherjj our mobile Guru can answer those questions.

HTH,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @Eagle20

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Yes, it is true that the SecureWeb browser is the only browser that one can use to get the benefits for the Webroot iOS Mobile. You can use Safari separately as I do once in awhile on my iPad. SecureWeb browser is the safest way to shop, bank, and browse with the most advanced web browser for iOS.

Now at this time, there is not an antivirus option available for Apple iOS devices. Because of how Apple manages the apps available in their App Store, there is not a need for one currently. This may change in the future. (But this is debatable as I think the iOS can get hit with malware IMO now a days).

Please have a look HERE
And HERE

Webroot Security for iOS

Webroot provides a SecureWeb browser and a SecureSync for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (iOS 4.2 or later). This app is available for free in Apple App store.

Please be aware that the SecureSync feature is intended for use by Webroot customers who have created an account with us. This means you will need to enter your Webroot account credentials to use this feature.

Note that Secure Web Browsing can be used without a subscription, but the Password Management feature can only be used with a SecureAnywhere Complete or a SecureAnywhere Internet Security Plus subscription. Also, you can only use the Backup & Sync app if you have a Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete subscription.

To learn how to use these products, you can view our Help documentation at the links below:
* Webroot SecureSync for iOS
For instructions on installing these apps, click here.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thank you @ProTruckDriver for the ping..😊
Badge +3
@ProTruckDriver and @Ssherjj thank you both for the replies, I really do appreciate it!

Unfortunately, support could not give me the same courtesy, and I just discovered my subscription is 'expired'. So it looks like I will not be using any Webroot products after all.

But again, thank you both, I do appreciate your trying to help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
You're welcome Eagle20,

Sorry to hear that your subscription expired. And that Support wasn't able to help out much. But thank you so much for letting us know. That was very nice of you.

All the best,
Sherry
Userlevel 7
You're welcome Eagle20,

Sorry to hear about the expired subscription. I marked your post as "Solved". I know it wasn't the results you wished. I wish Support would have helped you better.

Dave.