Solved

Number of Scans Decreasing

The Scans on my Webroot have been doing something weird the last week and a half. Every four or five days I notice a scan occurred that I did not initiate nor was it a scheduled scan. I also notice that every time it happens the number of scans done is reduced to 2. I’ve already bee in contact with Customer support and uninstalled and reinstalled Webroot like they told me to do and this is still happening. I’m getting kind of paranoid now that some sort of virus is somehow messing with my Webroot. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this, I’m getting worried. I sent a support ticket on July 4th understanding that it’s a holiday and they wouldn’t get to me immediately but it’s been two days since then. 

icon

Best answer by TylerM 12 July 2021, 17:46

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Yes Thanks, my scheduler is set up as you indicate, the only odd feature is that since moving to W10 the one hour difference between the set time and the action time has appeared. It is no big deal and I know that WSA  runs live in real time, and I have every available shield activated.

If you check the Registry as you can see on mine it’s set for 13:00 hours or 1:00pm everyday if my system is on and if it’s not it will scan the next time my system is on at that time via the settings page that I posted above and have unchecked all the boxes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

If you want do a clean reinstall?? Up to you! :wink:

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Go into Safe Mode and Delete these Folders if they are there!
  • C:\Program Files\Webroot Folder
  • C:\ProgramData\WRData Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • C:\ProgramData\WRCore Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • Boot back into normal mode
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Info in case you don’t know how to go into Safe Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

No worries as your still protected!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @SgDrift08 

Yea I’m not sure if the “Foreign Code Shield” has been pushed out to all users? I’m a Beta Tester so I have it but at least you know what it will do. It has nothing to do with the Firewall. Also I always add another Reboot after a clean reinstall to set the Drivers and it’s always best to do a Reboot after installing any software even though they don’t mention it. It’s just one my Rules of Thumb.

You can see my UI is a bit different but have a look here to see what Shields you have and when it’s time they will release this version to all users.

HTH,

@TripleHelix sorry to bother you but these problems keep seeming to come up after the call support is closed. My computer randomly shut off on it’s own and when I get it back on the first thing I do is check my webroot and it says that the last scan was 5 days ago (when customer support had me uninstall and reinstall it) and that there was only one scan in the history, I close it and open it up a few minutes later and now it said the last scan was less than 5 minutes ago but I still had only one scan on top of it the scan from then still had the exact same time down to the second as the scan that is supposedly from 5 days ago, I initiate a scan of my own and now it is saying that there are 3 scans complete. I’m sorry if I’m sounding paranoid but this situation seems to be getting weirder and weirder and now I feel like some virus or hack has managed to mess with my Webroot. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@SgDrift08 all I can say is go back to support and have them sort it out. Maybe they might do a Remote session with you?

Sorry,

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

@SgDrift08 

Hi,

Webroot will automatically scan your computer after a threat is detected, and during set intervals (usually every 24h) as long as the computer is idle and turned on. 

If Webroot is completing scans and there are no threat detected then your computer is safe - this is what we’re designed to do :)

If you STILL feel like something is not right and you need help to re-assure that your computer is not infected, please reach back out to support so we can assist over the phone or through a ticket. Based upon your issues and suspicions while following directions I agree with @TripleHelix  that you should schedule a remote session with our support agents so they can better reassure all of your issues completely.

Please let us know the results 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @SgDrift08 

This is what I do in settings and it scans at 1:00pm on the dot everyday! Uncheck all the boxes and choose your time to scan and save!

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#ScanningForMalware/ChangingScanSchedules.htm?TocPath=Scanning%2520for%2520Malware%257C_____3

HTH,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@Arjabhaiif you want it to run at 12:00 then do as I posted above and it will on the dot!

This is the reason it will scan anytime within that hour if the PC is on.

In all honesty it doesn’t really matter because WSA’s Realtime Shield is always running and checking files so it will find more than doing scans but to remove a bad file it will need to scan more area’s as it could drop bad files in other places.

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#ShieldingYourPC/PCShieldsOverview.htm?TocPath=Shielding%2520Your%2520PC%257C_____1

Types of Shields

SecureAnywhere includes the following types of shields:

• Realtime Shield — Monitors unknown programs to determine whether or not they contain threats. Blocks known threats from running on your computer that are listed in Webroot’s threat definitions and in our community database. You should never disable this shield.
  • Rootkit Shield — Blocks rootkits from being installed on your computer and removes any that are present.
  • Web Shield — Blocks known threats encountered on the Internet and displays a warning. The Web shield maintains information on more than 200 million URLs and IP addresses to comprise the most accurate and comprehensive data available for classifying content and detecting malicious sites.
  • USB Shield — Monitors an installed USB flash drive for threats, blocks and removes any threats that it finds.
  • Offline Shield — Protects your system from threats while your computer is not connected to the Internet.
  • Script Shield — Protects your system from malicious scripts.
  • Foreign Code Shield — Protects your system from the latest advanced threats.

The shields are pre-configured, based on our recommended settings.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Yes, I agree. Its no problem & as you say it will run when you have logged on if it has missed the scheduled time. However sometimes it doesn’t and when that happens I just initiate a manual trigger. As for the setting, well no answer to that-the scheduler is set for 11.00 but it runs at noon- no big deal just a bit odd given that this has only occurred after I moved from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but I can live with it as I know this is what it is doing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

OK, it was a clean install following detailed step from the Support team. However I’ll let my ‘techie’ have a look at it when he comes back from holiday. At 80 yoa I leave things like this to the folk who know what they are doing. Thanks for the interest anyway.

If you want do a clean reinstall?? Up to you! :wink:

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Go into Safe Mode and Delete these Folders if they are there!
  • C:\Program Files\Webroot Folder
  • C:\ProgramData\WRData Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • C:\ProgramData\WRCore Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • Boot back into normal mode
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Info in case you don’t know how to go into Safe Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

I recieved the same instructions from Webroot customer support a week ago and did everything except reboot after it installed and scanned., am I good or is that a problem? Also on your list of shields I notice I don’t have “Foreign Code Shield but Firewall. Are those essentially the same thing? Thank you I appreciate all of the information you have been giving me. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Whilst I have not noticed any unexpected scans after having a new PC and installing W10 as opposed to My hitherto W 8.1 I had several issues which made me wonder if the scans were really working. As it turns out they were, but the running number of scans carried out went up and down between 2 and 4, indeed one changed before my eyes! I sent a message to Support for a ticket to which I got a swift response. Having sent the usual ‘data grab’ file I received a step by step guide which was in effect a version of Uninstall & Reinstall ,which once the exercise was completed put the issues including the running number of scans including the scheduled and  manually triggered ones back to normal. One little oddity remains. If I close down  via the W,10 Power control cog I do not see the pop up in the bottom right corner of the status of protections headings covered, yet if I close down via my desktop Icon when I next log on the traditional Webroot status pop up appears. So maybe if you contact Support again the issue to which you refer can be dealt with. As I am sure you know the Support team in Colorado are pretty quick & good.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Interesting, mine has always run as a Scheduled scan anything up to 20 minutes after the set time, set times are always subject toresources being available. Since the Webroot  reinstall following the Windows 10 installation I have to set the Scheduler at 1 hour before I want it e.g set for 11.00hrs to run at 12.00 hrs

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Yes Thanks, my scheduler is set up as you indicate, the only odd feature is that since moving to W10 the one hour difference between the set time and the action time has appeared. It is no big deal and I know that WSA  runs live in real time, and I have every available shield activated.