Overcharged

Renewing Webroot, I am told the fee is $39. Nowhere on the checkout page does it say this is USD. I am in Australia, so my card gets charged $59. To me this means one of two things. It’s either deceptive practice, as displaying the actual amount in the currency of the user would be a higher amount, which the company seemingly wants to avoid despite being the honest thing to do. Or, at the very least, it’s simply disrespectful.

Is Webroot intended only for U.S. customers? If not, why not have the courtesy to display the amount in the user’s currency (as many respectful businesses do), or at least have the courtesy to state the currency of the displayed fee. Or do they think the whole world revolves around the U.S., and feel no need to think otherwise?

I previously contacted support about this issue, and received a canned and completely inadequate response, so just to make things worse, the claims of good customer service are apparently empty claims. 

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Did you renew your subscription on the webroot.com or webroot.com.au website?

If you used  webroot.com the price displayed would be in US Dollars and you payed in Australian Dollars then the price charged would reflect that.

If you used webroot.com.au then you would have been charged in Australian Dollars.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

@SXR6 is right if you used the webroot.com and paid using Aus Dollars

If you used the correct website and still feel that we are in error we would be happy to resolve this

Did you contact our sales number?

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Australia

Sales and Purchases

Call 1 800 013 772

There is also an email you can use

wr-customersales@opentext.com

I used the webpage that appeared after clicking the renew link in the program - which seems like reasonable behaviour to me. In other words, I followed Webroot’s directions in order to make the renewal. So by following Webroot’s directions I am charged $59.  Now I see at the .com.au site, the fee is given as $49.

Supposedly I am to psychically divine that the link opened from the program is not the correct website for me, I should somehow know to not use this link; instead I should know to search out a country-specific site, where a different amount will be charged. How shonky is that?

Not only am I not respected as a returning customer, I am actually ripped off by following the directions given by the company. What poor business practice. In a market where there’s plenty of alternative companies to choose from offering a similar service - why act in such a disreputable way?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

I

I used the webpage that appeared after clicking the renew link in the program - which seems like reasonable behaviour to me. In other words, I followed Webroot’s directions in order to make the renewal. So by following Webroot’s directions I am charged $59.  Now I see at the .com.au site, the fee is given as $49.

Supposedly I am to psychically divine that the link opened from the program is not the correct website for me, I should somehow know to not use this link; instead I should know to search out a country-specific site, where a different amount will be charged. How shonky is that?

Not only am I not respected as a returning customer, I am actually ripped off by following the directions given by the company. What poor business practice. In a market where there’s plenty of alternative companies to choose from offering a similar service - why act in such a disreputable way?

I agree Opentext /Webroot need to fix the payment issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Please contact Webroot sales that @TylerM posted and they will sort it out!