Trouble saving files to network file share

• 8 March 2017
  • 9 replies

We have users who randomly are unable to save files like Word, Excel or other to network shares, typically over a VPN connection.  When doing so they get "file is currently in use try again later" messages. It doesn't happen all of the time, however you can typically recreate the issue by opening and saving a file a few different times. 

In our troubleshooting we found that removing Webroot SecureAnywhere off of the client machine resolved the issue.  Once re reinstalled the client we had saving problems again.  We also isolated the server with the file shares by removing any A/V that was installed with no net effect.  Any ideas what might be causing this on on the client side?

Like I mentioned, only happens over the VPN, I do not have the same problems when opening and saving files on the local network so there must be something the Webroot client is doing in the communication stream to create the problem.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello @ and welcome to the Community.

Since it is a network based issue, could you first try disabling both the ID Shield and the Web Threat Shield to see if that causes any change? I'd suggest disabling each individually.

If that doesn't work, try disabling "Scan files when written or modified" under the Realtime Shield settings.

Please let me know once you've had a chance to try disabling these settings and if any of them are successful.
Started getting this also, user across VPN saving excel, disabling "check files for threats when written or modified" seems to resolve, is there a better option?
Userlevel 7
@, that is the primary solution I was given from our Team.

I recommend submitting a ticket to them directly for additional assistance.
I am experiencing this EXACT same issue. It's localized to Excel files though.
Userlevel 4
Makes me wonder how the shares are being referenced across the VPN. Does the VPN assign an address in the same subnet as the File Share? Does the file share get referenced via IP address or FQDN or NETBIOS name? Is some mechanism in the Webroot scanning that checks the subnet of where it is writing to and stop it from writing there if not in the same subnet?
We are seeing the same with Word saving to a network share (it happens to be a DFS share too), and this is without VPN. Save box and thermometer will show and run 8-10 times then stop. Document is really not saved. Office 2016 (O365), Win 10. Check files for threats when written was disabled to fix. I worry about blanket turn off of a feature and being exposed. Thoughts?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
We are seeing the same with Word saving to a network share (it happens to be a DFS share too), and this is without VPN. Save box and thermometer will show and run 8-10 times then stop. Document is really not saved. Office 2016 (O365), Win 10. Check files for threats when written was disabled to fix. I worry about blanket turn off of a feature and being exposed. Thoughts?
Did you try steps provided above: to disable both the ID Shield and the Web Threat Shield?

If that is not successful, go ahead and submit a support ticket to our Team for further assistance.
Hi,

Disabling "Check files for threats when written" fixed the issue, but as stated I worried that have a feature off would open us for harm.

jeffrey
Userlevel 7
@, I completely understand. Please work with our Support Team to ensure this is addressed for you.
You can also reach them Monday - Friday by phone if you prefer.

Business Technical Support: Call 1-866-254-8400