Solved

Uninstall trouble

• 1 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +3
Hi,

I've ran the uninstaller in the control panel but it doesn't seem to have removed webroot. There is no "webroot" folder in program files. Instead, I have C:\Program Files\eEHyHVor. There are 2 files in "eEHyHVor". They are "lkfnejMY.exe" and "WRSkyClientConnect.x86.dll". There seems to be 1 service running "WRSVC". I'm not able to stop it.
icon

Best answer by creamygoodness 1 July 2019, 23:08

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Webroot has an option when installing to scramble the program executable file as a security measure.

I only came across this recently when I did a Webroot reinstall.

I have seen this with some Security Software as well.

Some malware is written to directly look for the Security Software and disable it.

Have you tried starting the computer in Safe Mode to remove the files?
Badge +3
Webroot has an option when installing to scramble the program executable file as a security measure.

I only came across this recently when I did a Webroot reinstall.

I have seen this with some Security Software as well.

Some malware is written to directly look for the Security Software and disable it.

Have you tried starting the computer in Safe Mode to remove the files?

I have tried safe mode. Not sure what to do. Just try to manually delete the files?
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Sorry I do not.
The only thing I could think of is a reinstall and check the advanced settings to make sure the scramble option is unchecked and then try an uninstall.

If that does not work lodge a support ticket.
Badge +3
Sorry I do not.
The only thing I could think of is a reinstall and check the advanced settings to make sure the scramble option is unchecked and then try an uninstall.

If that does not work lodge a support ticket.

I understand. Thanks
Badge +3
Well, this was a lot easier to remover than I thought it would be. I created a support ticket and got my answer from that.

I was told to boot into safe mode and run this command "C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" -uninstall. This was not going to work because I didn't have this file/folder.

The next line gave me my answer. "Note: The path for Step 1 is for the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly."

So I ran "C:\Program Files\eEHyHVor\lkfnejMY.exe" -uninstall. Boom! No more webroot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@creamygoodness you must of installed WSA with a random name to get this kind of uninstall issue as the default is C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#GettingStarted/InstallingSecureAnywhere.htm%3FTocPath%3DGetting%2520Started%7C_____1

Randomize the installed filename to bypass certain infections — To change the Webroot installation filename to a random name, for example, QrXC251G.exe, select this checkbox. Doing so prevents malware from detecting and blocking Webroot's installation file.

Like many, I am also having a hard time getting webroot installed. I use SyncroMSP and deploy from there. 

I dont have a webroot folder or scrambled numbers/letters in C:\Program Files, but in SyncroMSP it says that “WRSVC installed (not managed). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this uninstalled. I have not tried booting into safe mode because the file doesnt exist where it says it should. I tried creating a support ticket with Webroot, but that logs me out, takes me to the login page, and then to my dashboard. 

Is there such thing as an uninstaller script for Webroot?  Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.