Solved

Webroot FIltering Extension not working after update (Firefox)

• 4 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Yesterday I had noticed that the Webroot Filtering Extension was saying that it could be updated so I clicked it. I was unsure if it did anything because it didn’t indicate that anything happened. Afterwards, however, I noticed that no matter what site I was on the icon in the top-right corner of the screen would be the normal logo with a red dot in the bottom-left corner of it. No green check mark, no yellow exclamation point. In addition on every search engine, search results do not have an approval/warning next to them. The assumption is that the extension is no longer working and I don’t know why.

After that, the next time I opened Firefox the extension logo is invisible, but still says “Webroot Filtering Extension” when mousing over it. Clicking it opens nothing.

Next, I would disable and re-enable the extension but that would just bring me to a page telling me to verify my keycode, which I did (I can’t remember if the account is under our mom’s email or mine, but my brother and I both got a code when we bought our computers at Best Buy a few years ago, so I am hesitant to try to get a new keycode) and a gray circle spins indefinitely and never loads another webpage or anything and the extension is thus never enabled.

I have looked and looked for a solution but can’t even find any subject/query pertaining to my unique and specific problem. I have already tried toolbarfix and it did nothing (when uninstalling, it doesn’t actually uninstall it and when doing fix/install, it says it failed). There seems to be no way to uninstall the extension and reinstall it. There also seems to be no solution to the indefinite loading time for verifying the keycode to get it working again.

icon

Best answer by Rawcous 18 June 2020, 22:46

View original

7 replies

Hello,

I did get a response from support and posted the following elsewhere on here:

Hello,

Webroot Support have come back to me and proposed the following:

RE:Virus threat scheduler not working / Firefox problem with new Webroot Filtering Extension

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support.

The issue you have reported where Firefox is repeatedly prompting for a Webroot keycode when opening Firefox and entering the keycode does not solve the issue, is due to a change made recently by Firefox that has created a conflict with our Web Threat Shield. Webroot is investigating however, there is no identified release date for remediation.

In the interim, there are 3 options available as workarounds.

1. Set the Firefox Privacy settings to ‘Remember history’.

To complete this:
a. Open Firefox, click the hamburger menu to open the Firefox settings menu
b. Select Options
c. Select Privacy & Security in the left navigation column
d. Scroll down to the History setting and for the ‘Firefox will’ setting, click the drop-down menu and select ‘Remember history’.

2. Set the Firefox Privacy settings for limited history retention.

To do this:
a. Open Firefox, click the hamburger menu to open the Firefox settings menu
b. Select Options
c. Select Privacy & Security in the left navigation column
d. Scroll down to the History setting and for the ‘Firefox will’ setting, click the drop-down menu and select ‘Use Custom Settings’.
e. For the revealed settings, only check the boxes to enable ‘Remember search and form history’ and ‘Clear history when Firefox closes’, leave the other options unchecked.

3. Use an alternate browser.

If you have additional information or want to discuss this issue, please respond to this message and Support will continue working with you.

Best Regards,
Webroot Support

I opted for option no.2 which resolved the problem for me.

Regards.

Regards.

Hello Reldel100,

I’m not sure if this has been resolved for you or not but I can confirm I have the same issue and logged this with support around a week ago. If / as soon as I receive a response I will report back here in the event that yours is not resolved.

Regards.

Hello, although the problem persists I did receive a message back from tech support saying that other people have reported the issue as well and that it is currently being investigated, though there is currently no release date for the fix.

Hello Reldel100,

I’m not sure if this has been resolved for you or not but I can confirm I have the same issue and logged this with support around a week ago. If / as soon as I receive a response I will report back here in the event that yours is not resolved.

Regards.

It was worth a try.

I think you may be best to contact Support Here detailing the problem you are having and linking to this topic.

Once you have contacted them wait for them to reply before you contact them again otherwise it may push your request to the back of the queue.

JtR

Thanks, will try this

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

It was worth a try.

I think you may be best to contact Support Here detailing the problem you are having and linking to this topic.

Once you have contacted them wait for them to reply before you contact them again otherwise it may push your request to the back of the queue.

JtR

Hi @reldel100 

I had a problem a little while ago, while not exactly like yours I was able to install Webroot Filtering Extension, it may be worth a try.

Go to this page and in paragraph 1. right click on the link. you will be given the choice to save the link as.

Save it into your downloads folder.

Go your downloads folder on your computer and highlight the file you have just downoaded.

Next open your Add-On via the Tool tab in firefox and then DRAG the file from your download folder into the Add-Ons list, it should install itself then.

Sadly, this did not work. I even recall seeing the linked page before and it not working. It simply does nothing but send me to the same webpage telling me to verify my keycode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Hi @reldel100 

I had a problem a little while ago, while not exactly like yours I was able to install Webroot Filtering Extension, it may be worth a try.

Go to this page and in paragraph 1. right click on the link. you will be given the choice to save the link as.

Save it into your downloads folder.

Go your downloads folder on your computer and highlight the file you have just downoaded.

Next open your Add-On via the Tool tab in firefox and then DRAG the file from your download folder into the Add-Ons list, it should install itself then.