I have reset both computers whilst trying to find the culprit. Installing Webroot on a fresh install of Win10 with updates, no other programs and it freezes. If I install it in safe mode, it installs but the computers freeze when entering desktop. I then have to restore back.
What is going on with Webroot?
Best answer by JGiffardView original
Going to point him here.
I am also seeing this freezing. I am pretty sure it happened after installing KB4088776, which would be around the same timeline as the OP.
The logon prompt comes up. If you log in, it works, but within about 3-5 seconds, it freezes, and you have to hard reset the machine. Through troubleshooting startup, I got down to only Webroot. If I leave all the Webroot stuff unloaded, the machine is fine. Loaded, it freezes up the same way every time.
When it was not loaded, I tried to uninstall the software, and within a few seconds, the machine froze. Even in Safe Mode it does this when I tried to uninstall from the command prompt. (It blue screened Safe Mode.)
Anyone else seeing this?
There is a workaround that I did by using BCDEDIT to set debug to on. But I would probably check with their support before doing that. (Or go for it, if you are brave.)
What did work was running this command from an elevated prompt:
bcdedit /set debug on
But then when 9.0.20.xx is released, you will want to turn this setting off:
bcdedit /set debug off
The affect of this setting being on is the possibility of a local account or network account with permissions to the endpoint being able to run debugging commands and being a potential vulnerability. Short term you should be fine, but you would not want this on indefinitely.
Our team is investigating this issue which is occurring for customers on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update with the Spectre/Meltdown patch. They have already implemented some changes in the most recent build to address this, and more will be included in the next release. In the meantime, our support team has suggested that users experiencing this issue check for all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates, and then reboot. You may also try disabling Windows Defender, as this has worked for some users. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact our support team directly so that they can help you with additional troubleshooting, as well as gather additional information to get to get the full scope of impact this issue is causing.
Details for Webroot support are here:- https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support