Solved

Webroot Secure Anywhere Firewall & Windows 11 Firewall

Hi folks - Could I ask, the Secure Anywhere application / subscription of course has a built-in firewall. I am running Windows 11 which has its own Windows defender also with a firewall. Currently I have both enabled but is this necessary and could it cause performance degradation in respect of internet speed or possible conflicts?? Is it better to have one or the other live rather than both running at the same time.

To date I don't believe I have had any conflicts, but my system does sometimes have issues with internet connectivity which could be due to having x2 firewalls running at once.

Thank you - Ben

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 12 December 2022, 01:59

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi folks - Could I ask, the Secure Anywhere application / subscription of course has a built-in firewall. I am running Windows 11 which has its own Windows defender also with a firewall. Currently I have both enabled but is this necessary and could it cause performance degradation in respect of internet speed or possible conflicts?? Is it better to have one or the other live rather than both running at the same time.

To date I don't believe I have had any conflicts, but my system does sometimes have issues with internet connectivity which could be due to having x2 firewalls running at once.

Thank you - Ben

@BPJ77 Myself personally, I do NOT trust Windows Defender, as such, I always turn that off, and rely on Webroot. In more than 6 years we have used Webroot across our customer base, it has not let me down. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thank you - Ben

Previous threads have discussed the two firewall issue with regards to Windows 10.
The Webroot Firewall is designed to run in conjunction to the Windows Defender Firewall to add extra protection.
Your connection could possibly be due to the two firewalls but I would be looking at other causes first.
An obvious test would be the next time you have an Internet Connectivity Issue disable the Webroot Firewall and see if that fixes the problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thank you - Ben

@BPJ77 Myself personally, I do NOT trust Windows Defender, as such, I always turn that off, and rely on Webroot. In more than 6 years we have used Webroot across our customer base, it has not let me down. 

I actually tried a Windows 10 Computer running just the Webroot Firewall and I kept getting warnings about  the Windows Defender Firewall not running.
Previous threads have discussed the two firewall issue with regards to Windows 10.
The Webroot Firewall is designed to run in conjunction to the Windows Defender Firewall to add extra protection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I run both on my windows 11 laptop

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I run both as well. I often create custom rules in Windows Defender for blocking specific addresses or ports that might otherwise not be blocked. Both incoming and outgoing too. 

Userlevel 2

Webroot does not recognize win 11 defender/firewall is on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Webroot does not recognize win 11 defender/firewall is on.

It will not but make sure you leave Windows Defender Firewall on see here for more info: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingFirewallWebShieldProtection/ManagingFirewalls.htm

Managing Firewalls

The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection.

You should not turn off either the Windows firewall or the SecureAnywhere firewall. If they are disabled, your system is open to many types of threats whenever you connect to the Internet or to a network. These firewalls can block malware, hacking attempts, and other online threats before they can cause damage to your system or compromise your security.

The SecureAnywhere firewall is preconfigured to filter traffic on your computer. It works in the background without disrupting your normal activities. If the firewall detects any unrecognized traffic, it opens an alert where you can block the traffic or allow it to proceed.

Example of a Firewall pop-up!  I Allowed Always because I knew the file and it was harmless.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Daniel,

Windows Defender has rules for both incoming and outgoing data, and I use the outgoing rules all the time. I get that this is not the same what Webroot outgoing checks do, but I think your statement that Windows Defender protects incoming data and Webroot protects outgoing implies that defender does not check outgoing data, as that is not accurate. 

Just being picky here. 😃

Userlevel 2

Well, I suppose I will leave both Firewalls on.  I am just disappointed that Webroot falsely claims that the Win Defender is off when it is on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Can you point me to that claim? I was not aware of it myself. Thanks. (I do not work for Webroot.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Daniel,

Windows Defender has rules for both incoming and outgoing data, and I use the outgoing rules all the time. I get that this is not the same what Webroot outgoing checks do, but I think your statement that Windows Defender protects incoming data and Webroot protects outgoing implies that defender does not check outgoing data, as that is not accurate. 

Just being picky here. 😃

Yes I understand and I was posting from the Webroot User Guide! Also I have 3 Outbound Firewalls, Windows, Webroot and Glasswire and they all work well together. But I just use Windows Firewall for inbound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Thanks Daniel

Userlevel 2

Something changed.  I just ran the Webroot System Analyzer which now reports “Firewall is enabled” which is different from yesterday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Well, if you see it again, come back and post. Maybe we can figure out what is going on. Thanks for replying back!  :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Yea no issues here on Win 10 Pro I don’t know how the Windows Security looks on Win 11.