Solved

What can I do to protect myself while traveling?

Userlevel 5

So I mostly use my phone and tablet while traveling and am curious about ways to protect myself. Is there any way to use hotel or airport wifi safely? Does anyone have tips for security while traveling?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 8 April 2022, 21:04

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Kitkat737 

The best thing to use is a VPN and Webroot has one: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/vpn-wifi-security

See the Webroot Blog: https://www.webroot.com/blog/2017/11/21/why-you-should-use-a-vpn/

HTH,

Userlevel 5

Thank you! Can you use Webroot VPN on cell phones and tablets?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Common sense is the best protection. Dont connect to any open wifi’s without a passkey, even then shared passkeys arent great so use webroot VPN. The safest way is to use Mobile data only and setup a hotspot on your mobile for the laptop to use. This assumes you have data roaming otherwise you will have a huge bill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Thank you! Can you use Webroot VPN on cell phones and tablets?

Yes and on Windows and Mac’s.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Use anti-malware, DNS protection and VPN, and most important always rely on your common sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Personally, I will always ensure that I avoid any public WiFi and only use my data. I never sign in to public hotspots or access points.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

I also avoid hotel internet as it’s usually worse service than just hotspot from my phone. 

I typically hotspot all my devices and kids devices to my phone and that works great. 

But if you have to use public WiFi I would use a VPN when you can 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I also avoid hotel internet as it’s usually worse service than just hotspot from my phone. 

I typically hotspot all my devices and kids devices to my phone and that works great. 

But if you have to use public WiFi I would use a VPN when you can 

I bet this costs you a fortune abroad!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Actually GoogleFi has been pretty awesome and they have an unlimited plan that hasn’t charged me extra when roaming internationally. Last tested was in Mexico and Bahamas, but I’ve not tested it in Europe yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Actually GoogleFi has been pretty awesome and they have an unlimited plan that hasn’t charged me extra when roaming internationally. Last tested was in Mexico and Bahamas, but I’ve not tested it in Europe yet

Never heard of GoogleFi before, is that in addition to your main contract or something? If I were going abroad anytime soon I would be looking it up right away, alas, that is not the case!

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Never heard of GoogleFi before, is that in addition to your main contract or something? If I were going abroad anytime soon I would be looking it up right away, alas, that is not the case!

Yeah I’ve been with them about a year and haven’t had any issues. I had ATT previously and it was the worst service ever and I only stayed with them because they still gave me my geeksquad discount from like 15 years ago when the iPhone 3g came out. Anyways Google Fi is my main and only contract and it’s cheap as sh!t. $75/month for 3 lines UNLIMITED calls/text/data with 5gb of wifi hotspot per device. 

Please if you find something more competitive, let me know

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I use TMobile which is actually Deutsche Telekom, and their everything package includes free, albeit slow internet in a large number of European countries. For a small fee, you can speed that up. I pay $60 for two lines unlimited everything. I think Googlefi is a bit better plan, but I have been happy with T-Mobile for years, and I travel a lot less. 

That said, many European hotels had excellent WiFi and a good VPN (Like what Webroot has) seems to work well at protecting your data. So far so good.