Solved

What is trying to delete my C: drive?

• 27 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
When I log in to my laptop, I get a message asking me for admin permission in order to delete the folder named "OS". Other than the fact that I haven't explicitly tried to delete anything, "OS" is the volume name of my C: drive. What is attempting to delete "OS" and why? My Webroot scans are coming up clean.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 28 June 2019, 01:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello @gblue42 and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

That's an odd one even for me but to make sure you are Malware free please Submit a Support Ticket and ask them if there is anything malicious running on your system and if there is they can help you remove it free of charge with your paid subscription of Webroot SecureAnywhere.

Thanks,
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Submitted. Thank you!
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Hi gblue42 have you done a full scan with Webroot?

Right click on the hard drive icon and select Scan with Webroot.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hi gblue42 have you done a full scan with Webroot?

Right click on the hard drive icon and select Scan with Webroot.

I hadn't, but I just did. Still clean. Thank you. I spent some time with a Webroot Advanced Malware Removal Team technician yesterday and it appears there was a failed update to Windows 10 (1903) and there was something amiss in the attempted clean-up post-update. How exactly that translates into "del c:\" is anybody's guess but I reapplied the update and this time all seems well. I'm watching to see if the attempted drive-wipe comes back but so far, so good. Thank you again.