Solved

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Support

• 1 October 2018
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I hate to ask this and please no responses telling me to get off these versions of Windows because they aren't supported by Microsoft. I already know that and I'm pushing for upgrades, but I don't control the budget. My question is, how much longer will Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 be supported. I asked last year on this post and was told April 2019. I had heard previously that might be extended and was wondering if that had been decided yet and if so, for how long? Our subscription is up in January and I wanted to get an idea at what we'd be looking at. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sincerely,
Nic
icon

Best answer by NicCrockett 26 December 2018, 15:49

View original

24 replies

I also heard that it was planned for April 2019 but that they still worked on it to expend it. For the moment I have not read anything or heard anything else about this subject, so if you had any news about this please share with us
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from anyone about this issue. If someone from Webroot could respond that would be helpful.

Questions:
1. Are you going to support these versions of Windows for longer than April 2019?
2. If not, will the version they are on still work with the SecureAnywhere Endpoint Protection web console? This would allow us to still use the software, but not get new features. If you go this route, how long will it work with the web console?

Thanks,
NicCrockett
We continue need XP to run legacy 16 bit in-house applications that are prohibitively expensive to port to 32 bit. Please do not make WebRoot depend on newer API calls in Windows 7, 8 and 10 so it can continue to run on XP.  WebRoot does not need these new API bells and whistles, its user interface is fine as it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I agree completely! Webroot Renewals emailed me (renewals@webroot.com) about renewing my subscription. I replied, asking them these questions and pointing them to this thread. They replied on November 1st saying they would "expedite a response" and trying to sell me additional products. As you can see, they haven't replied to this thread and I haven't received any additional emails. However, that was only two weeks ago, so they may need more time to figure out their products future plans. I'll reply to them again and if I hear anything, I'll post it here.
These days it is not clear when you are conversing with a "Help Bot"-
If the issue is importaint sometimes you have to visit your local state university library and look up current vice presidents on Dun & Bradstreet and phone them directly (this information is generally NOT on Google, they sell it to paid subscribers only, the library has a paid "university" account). Execs do talk to customers (make your point quickly though). Having decision makers hear you helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I agree that's a posibility and I can't say with 100% certainty that the email wasn't a bot. However, I'm 99% sure it was an actual person based on the structure, language, and signature of the email. I emailed them again, so we'll see if they respond. I've got some contacts that I can reach out to if I have to. They might be able to get the information. I'd prefer to save those for last resort situations, but if I don't find out soon, I'll have to reach out to them. I'll keep posting here as I find out more. If you or anyone finds anything out, post here as well.

Thanks,
NicCrockett

P.S. Kudos on posts would great! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +31
Hi folks,

To answer the immediate questions on XP / 2003 , we have no current plans to withdraw support.  

Regards

jonathan

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
That's great news and thanks for responding!

I have a few more questions. We'll be renewing in January for the year. I know that product road maps are always changing. If we get 6 months into our year subscription and you release a version that is no longer capatible:

1. Will you let us know ahead of the release, so we can find an alternative product?
2. Give us a prorated (not full) refund for the licenses we no longer need. If we switch to a different product that may mean we want a prorated refund on all our licenses. Not because we don't like you, but because managing one product is easier than managing two. I'm a one person IT department, so anything that saves time is in my best interest. I'd prefer to stay with you guys, but I need support for these OS's.

Thanks,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 7
Badge +31
Hi 

The first question I can answer .  When it gets to the point that we cannot support an older operating system, we would notify all our customers before doing so.

The second question is something you'd need to take up with your account manager - that's well outside of my area of responsiblity ;)

Regards

Jonathan

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Thanks for all of your help Jonathan! I've contacted who I think is my account manager. Hopefully they are the right person and can help me, or at least point me in the right direction.

Those of you following this thread, I'll let you know what I find out.

Sincerely,
NicCrockett

P.S. Thanks for the kudos!
I'm in the same boat, running legacy apps that require 2003 and XP.

I'm running all of the apps in XP Mode under Windows 7.  I don't run Webroot on my XP virtual machines, however.  Are you using XP mode and running webroot in these vms?  Wondering if Webroot on the Windows 7 machine is sufficient enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I'm running both physical and virtual Windows XP PCs. I'm not running Windows 7 with XP mode on any of my physical or virtual PCs. I can't say with 100% certainity that you won't have any problems. However, I do know that Windows 7 is supported and they have told me that as of right now they are going to continue supporting Windows XP. I'm running a few Windows 7 physical PCs without issue. Originally they were going to discontinue Windows XP support in April 2019, but they've told me they are going to keep supporting it. However, they have told me that they can't tell me for how long, but they will give users plenty of notice before they discontinue support. This way users like me can find another solution. The bad news is, they won't offer a prorated refund for the time left on a subscription, so you're taking a chance that they will continue supporting it for the full year. The good news is, someone is still protecting Windows XP. I hope this answers any questions that people have.

Good Luck!
NicCrockett
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@LLiddell why did someone other than the original poster, i.e. me, mark a post as the answer? If I was going to mark any post as the answer, it would be the last post I made on December 26th, 2018. It gives other community users a complete answer, not a simple incomplete answer that was marked as the answer. Normally I wouldn't mark my own post as the answer, but I had to research this via the community, support, my account rep, and my reseller's Webroot contact in order to get a complete answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Which post specifically would you like it adjusted to? I can only see however many months have passed for each post, so I'm not sure which one specifically you're referring to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
It's the last post from me before today.

FYI, hover over the x minutes/days/months ago in the top right corner of a post and you'll see a date. This only shows the date, so if there's multiple posts from the same day, you'll still have a problem, but it still helps narrow it down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
It's the last post from me before today.

FYI, hover over the x minutes/days/months ago in the top right corner of a post and you'll see a date. This only shows the date, so if there's multiple posts from the same day, you'll still have a problem, but it still helps narrow it down.

Hover over the date and it's because of this new forum software.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@TripleHelix's screenshot is what I was referring to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Today I learned how that works, thanks guys. The best answer has been corrected.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
Many thanks to Webroot for continuing to support Windows XP and Server 2003. One of my customers has an old PC that runs an old Biscom faxboard and Faxcom software that needs Server 2003.

Another customer uses Windows XP and some very old software to run a piece of test equipment.

For both customers, the systems still work great, and "it ain't broke so they don't want to fix it". The systems are not used to access the Internet, but they are on the network so they should be protected.

So thanks!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
For anyone still following this thread, I've got some updated info and insight into Webroot's decision making on this issue. I've been speaking to the Level 2 Escalation team who's been helping me on an unrelated issue and this topic came up. They were very helpful and did some research that offered this info and insight. We can't hold them accountable for Webroot's decision making in the future, they don't control that. However, for know, this is how they found out how things work.

First, the Support Rep talked to the Product Managers and found out that Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 will be supported for the rest of 2019 and plan to support into 2020. Obviously, still lock these endpoints down because you're years behind on security updates. However, we at least have an Anti-Virus that supports them still! Thank You Webroot!!! 🎉👏

Second, what happens in 2020? The Support Rep also found out from the Product Managers that Webroot evaluates continuing support for all operating system versions closer to the end of each year. So, they may decide to discontinue support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 for 2020 close to the end of 2019. All though, if they continue their course as stated in my first point, they will support them at least some of the beginning of 2020.

Wrapping this up, any of us still using older operating systems should let Webroot not only know, but also why you have to use these and can't upgrade. For example:

1. We have two legacy applications that will only run on Windows XP or older OS. Every employee accesses at least one of these apps. We're looking at probably more than half a mil to upgrade the apps and all the workstations.
  2. I have a server that runs Windows Server 2003. It has an application on it that needs to be tested on another OS and if it works I can begin the move to the new server. However, I need time and the company that made it no longer exists, so my odds aren't great. If things do work it will take close to a year to set-up the server and move the rest of the assets. Very complex server!
  3. We, and I've heard other community members say this, are a manufacturing facility. Think of facilities like @YCGinOR mentioned. We have equipment that is built to run a certain OS. One for us, and this is only one, would cost more than 1.5 mil to replace. Manufacturing equipment isn't cheap and they base the OS on the most stable version they've tested their software on when they install the equipment. This is usually at least a few versions behind and you don't get upgrades because it voids your maintenance contract. Manufacturing equipment vendors are brutal!
Hope this sheds some light on Webroot's practices for deciding what gets supported. I also hope that everyone makes their voice heard, so Webroot knows what and why we need these operating systems protected. Again, thanks to the Support Reps who helped me!

Sincerely,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 5
Badge +24

I thought I saw a recent post from Webroot regarding support for 2003/XP coming to an end. I also have a client with a hard requirement to keep hanging onto that thing. Same applies - we all know it should be decommissioned/set on fire, so don’t get on your soap box. Just need to know if there are updates from the Webroot Team on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @jcail ,

Great question! 

Information for specifications shows this here:

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#GettingStarted/SystemRequirementsForWindows.htm

But let me ping @freydrew or/and @khumphrey that are the Administrators on the Forum,  might be able to find out for you if Webroot is still supporting Windows XP/2003 for businesses?

HTH,

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Webroot still supports Windows XP/2003 in the sense that our security will still remain valid. Visual/gui/a few other updates will not continue updating, however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Webroot still supports Windows XP/2003 in the sense that our security will still remain valid. Visual/gui/a few other updates will not continue updating, however.

Thank you for the quick response Keenan!😊