Complete

Add Mobile Unlock Function to Account Console

Userlevel 7
There have been a few instances I have seen in which following an inadvertant mobile device lock, the owner was not able to unlock the device for various reasons.  I would like to see this added to the available mobile commands on the Console.  This would help safeguard against forgotten or corrupt passwords.

Here are the currently available commands:

Adding an Unlock button itself should be easy, as long as the device still "checks in" with Webroot while in a locked condition to receive the Unlock command.

What do you all think?

26 replies

Userlevel 5
the Unlock button is already there in the WSA Business Mobile Protection, so it should be an easy update to add it to this as well.

I found it strange that this wasn't there in the first place, which is why I commented in the other thread like I did.
Userlevel 7
I second this idea because if we can Lock a device in the console, we should be able to undo by Unlock.
I third this idea!
Userlevel 7
I forth this idea.
Userlevel 7
We agree this is a good idea, and as we get closer to implementing it, we will update again with more info. Keep the great suggestions coming!
Userlevel 7
Well... you know me by now, keeping stuff coming is pretty much a given 🙂
Userlevel 7
Jim, sorry but I beg to differ. This idea in fact isn't the idea but David actually uncovered the seriously missing function. I repeat if  if we can Lock a device in the console, we should be able to undo by Unlock.

So in this case it shouldn't be considered as Idea but as pending implementation. Sometimes I have problem to understand how you handle ideas :8  but that's me.
Userlevel 7
Pegas, it's all about striking a balance.  At the moment, we're focused on improvements to Mobile Protection on the business side (policy improvements to start with).  We agree there is great value in this idea, but it's always a tough question as to what comes first.  In this case, we need to finish up the work on our plate before we add more to it.  I agree this could just as easily have been placed as In Process, but we want to set a realistic expectation as to a timeframe regarding when the feature will actually be added.  It can't really be treated as a defect either, because there are other good ways in place already to unlock a device.  Prioritizing features is tricky, but we're confident that what we're working on right now will have a larger impact than implementing this feature right away.
Userlevel 7
Understood, I just wanted to point out that some ideas should be treated as no ideas pending solely on Kudos received (popularity) but as features which need to be implemented because they are essential to further WSA improvement regardless on how many Kudos they have received.
Userlevel 7
Just checking (Being a pest 🙂  ) and wondering if there are any updates on this.
Userlevel 7
There is no update on this feature at this time.  There are a lot of improvements coming for business Mobile Protection that are still taking priority presently.  This is definitely something we want to do however.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Dev is reviewing this in their priority list - will update with more info once I hear more.
Slightly related: I still would like the ability to locate a device without locking it. 

There may be times where you want to locate the phone, but not let the person who has it know that you know they have it.
Userlevel 7
Can we revive and update this idea?  The Business Mobile still has both a lock and unlock command, yet the Consumer version does not.  This would certainly be a lot more user friendly than the chance of having to factory reset a phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hi Webrooters and David!

i really think that this idea should be considered and implemented because it's very sad for the consumers who cannot unlock there mobile device. Since SIM cards are becoming the past in cell phones, it's very hard to have to reset ones phone to unlock it. i agree if the Business Mobile version can do this I would think it could be done with the mobile for consumers. I totally agree With this idea. Consumers actually go into panic mode when this happens and it's good to lock if it's stolen and what not but a bad idea for the Consumer not to be able to unlock there own device. I'm very careful with this feature and especially if one locks it without knowing they cannot unlock there own device without suffering the consequences .

Userlevel 7
Thank you Sherry!  My opinion is that this is a no brainer.  It really does not require much, if any, Dev time as the code already exists.  It merely needs to be copied from the Business mobile to the Consumer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So there's a change to the way the new Android OS version handles locks and unlocks.  What we will have available is the ability to set a temporary PIN to use for unlocking the device, in cases where the end user isn't able to unlock it themselves for any reason.  You can resend this temporary PIN a couple of times and it will also be logged in the console so that you can look it up and give it to the end user.
Userlevel 7
? will this new format be in both the business and consumer mobile versions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I believe so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
? Good question.  This will just be for the consumer version at this time.
Userlevel 7
?Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Thanks ? for this idea and Thank you ?..This will be great!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Oh this is awesome news! Thanks for the Idea ?:D

Great job Webroot Developers!
Userlevel 7
? THANK YOU!  And a huge thank you to the entire Webroot Team!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
 I'll pass along your thanks to the development team.  I hope this helps!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings