Complete

Append "Status Notification Screen" to include Backup & Sync

• 22 October 2015
  • 9 replies

Hello.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a "Backup & Sync" line to the "Status Notification Screen" that appears over the system tray at startup (some users may have this disabled).

Then if Backup & Sync were ever turned off you would get a red "x" like you currently do when any shield or firewall is disabled.

Then possibly also change the GUI so that if the Backup & Sync feature is turned off for any reason, that the GUI turns red or brown like it currently does when any of the shields or firewall are disabled. (Also resulting in an exclamation point appearing on the Webroot icon in the system tray.)

Just a suggestion, considering the recent problem with B & S.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
I am going to give this a "Conditional Kudo".

I know quite a few users of WSA-Complete that do not use the Backup&Sync, so this would be rather a hassle for them as written.  A very minor change would work though...

If Backup&Sync is 'logged in' to a User, yet the toggles are off, or communication cannot be established with the Cloud,  warning should be given.  If Backup&Sync is NOT signed in, skip the warning.

Or just have the current issue with the toggles turning themselves off with no warning fixed.   🙂  That would be the best option I think.
Good point ,David.

Maybe they could implement an enable/disable feature for Backup & Sync.

Then only issue warnings if it's enabled.

Or possibly have an option to disable future warnings so the notification was just a one-time thing?

I agree fixing the issue is best. But this would still be helpful in case some future, unrelated problem occurs with B & S. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We're actually already considering implementing something like this, so I'll let you guys know if it makes it into a future dev cycle.
Awesome! Thanks ?

I'll look forward to seeing something like this in the future.  😃
Userlevel 7
Thanks Nic!

In my case I have a wife and 3 kids. They do not use Backup&Sync, and I do not want WSA giving them a warning just because my profile isn't active on thier device 🙂
 ? wrote:

I dislike the idea. I thought Backup + Sync would be a good option but after I got started, I changed my mind and was told that the "Cloud" cannot be removed from my list of computer drives and devices. I really don't like looking at it and I certainly don't want to see a red mark applied to a personal choice that was made and changed. It would annoy me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Just was wondering when you talk about not being able to remove the "Cloud" from your list of drives/devices, did you mean this?

Because if it is, you CAN remove this from this screen.

Open WSA PC interface (click icon in system tray), click Advanced Settings in upper right corner, choose Backup & Sync from list on left.
Uncheck box Enable Access to Webroot Cloud from Windows Explorer.
Webroot Backup & Sync will no longer appear under My Computer.

Hope this info helps. Also, the warning I was asking them for would appear on the Status Notification popup at startup, here:

not on the My Computer screen.

Have a good day,

Jon
Badge +8
@ wrote:
Hello.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a "Backup & Sync" line to the "Status Notification Screen" that appears over the system tray at startup (some users may have this disabled).

Then if Backup & Sync were ever turned off you would get a red "x" like you currently do when any shield or firewall is disabled.

Then possibly also change the GUI so that if the Backup & Sync feature is turned off for any reason, that the GUI turns red or brown like it currently does when any of the shields or firewall are disabled. (Also resulting in an exclamation point appearing on the Webroot icon in the system tray.)

Just a suggestion, considering the recent problem with B & S.
Hi Jon,

With the new version, it throws out an error message 21 yet it completes the task anyway.
Theresa

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Thank you for your suggestion, however we are not looking to implement this, at this time.
Well, I guess I'll have to keep manually checking periodically to ensure B&S is functioning since now, when it goes down, there is absolutely NO warning or notification about it whatsoever. But one thing I've realized over the years is that B & S, and it's functioning smoothly, is a very low priority for Webroot, which is a shame for those if us who use it regularly.