Solved Complete

Backing Up PDF Files

Show first post

31 replies

Userlevel 7
I am not suggesting anything myself beyond creating a new idea for separate suggestions, which you can word however they make the most sense to you.

To clarify some things that have been mentioned: Webroot would not need to list every conceivable file-type, firstly because that's unnecessary to back up the full contents of a folder (the old version of Backup did this without filters) and secondly because it's impossible - developers create new extentions all the time and there is every combination of every letter, number, and certain characters possible that would be necessary to create such a list.  It's also a popular misconception that file type extentions are limited to 3 characters.  They can be longer. 

So, back to your newer suggestion:
"why not make the backup all-inclusive (meaning all the presently listed files as well as the presently unlisted files) and do away with the checklist"

The suggested feature could probably be done as a per-user toggle for using filters or backing up everything without regard to filters.  Or it could have a selection-box sort of interface in which the folder is scanned for file-types that exist in it, and you pick which kinds of files you want backed up.  It would be a finite, managable list that way.  There are probably other ways to do it as well that don't leave so much room for a user to potentially miss things by not making a filter.  What we're interested in though is what you think would be the best experience.
Userlevel 6
Jim, your comments state as follows:

Status: https:///t5/Ideas-Exchange/idb-p/Ideas/status-key/UnderConsideration
Product Management agrees that there would be value in doing this, as well as considering backing up certain other file types by default. We'll continue to keep an eye on this idea to track its popularity.

While I agree it's important and necessary to track the popularity of an idea, please bear in mind two things:  (1) several good ideas are buried in this forum and are overlooked, and (2) unfortunately, at present, we have only a handful of very active posters, and getting widespread consensus is unrealistic and too time consuming, imho.   Lots of good ideas don't require a huge amount of community support.  We need to be more proactive and take the initiative when we see something that makes perfect sense.

This is an important issue.  Most folks who are backing up don't realize they are not backing up everything.  I see this as a significant flaw in the system.

What's the status of this?
Userlevel 7
********************************************************************************

RWM said:
While I agree it's important and necessary to track the popularity of an idea, please bear in mind two things: (1) several good ideas are buried in this forum and are overlooked, and (2) unfortunately, at present, we have only a handful of very active posters, and getting widespread consensus is unrealistic and too time consuming, imho. Lots of good ideas don't require a huge amount of community support. We need to be more proactive and take the initiative when we see something that makes perfect sense.
********************************************************************************

Absolutely agree!!! I wouldn't say it better. Relying just on the popularity of ideas (kudos received) smacks like a alibis what's a shame indeed. I am not a big fan of the ideas system applied here on the Community and I would really appreciate to move it in the direction Richard has described.
Userlevel 7
We are going to add PDFs, per your request. However, as long as we're at it, we may add some other file types as well. Anyone who is interested in this idea is encouraged to add any other file types they'd like to see added in this other topic.
Userlevel 7
The recent discussion about file types was very helpful in selecting additional file types to back up by default. PDF files are included among a newer, more robust list of file types to be backed up by default that is coming soon. 🙂 Thanks for the great idea!
Userlevel 7
Thanks to the incredibly useful suggestions from our community members in this idea and this other topic, this feature made it into build 8.0.2.145. We appreciate the valuable suggestions! Thanks! 😃

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings