Complete

Edit Capability In The Ideas Exchange Forum

• 2 February 2013
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
OK, I make entirely too many typos and have entirely too many brain farts to post in a forum that doesn’t have an edit feature.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Given previous discussions regarding the difference in the Ideas Exchange, and why we are not able to give Kudo's to individual comments, I would believe that the no-edit is by design:  If we were able to edit after posting, it would bring into question any Kudos that the idea received.  Were the Kudo's for the existing state of the post, or the original?  Depending on what was edited, they could be very very different.

I am the same way as far as typos... I call myself the king of the backspace :S  What I sometimes do, and probably should more often, is to first write my comments in Notepad.  After proof reading it I can then copy and paste into here to submit.
Userlevel 6
The same could be said about comments made in any other forum, e.g. the Community Forums.  Editing can, indeed, change the the framework of the original post, but to be consistent, either add it to the Ideas Exchange forum or delete from the Community Forum.

My vote is to add it!
Userlevel 7
We'll leave this idea open for discussion, but I have one point of clarification - even edits in the other parts of the forum are only available during the first 24 hours following a post. It was originally 1 hour, and I think we're still determining the appropriate middle-ground. However, protecting the original meaning of a post is more important in the Ideas Exchange since the kudos in this area act as a ranking system for the ideas, whereas on the rest of the forum they still track satisfaction, but not in the same way as a feature request.
Userlevel 7
The ability to edit has been extended to one week from the time of the original post. For the reasons stated before, we don't want to open editing up much wider than that at this time. Otherwise there is potential to change the meaning of an idea after it has already gained significant kudos.

Additionally, you can now permanently edit your own posts in the "Admittedly More Interesting Than Internet Security" category since those discussions are primarily non-Webroot related.
Userlevel 6
Perhaps the ability to edit in any forum could be extended to "Frequent Voice" and up.  I think that group understands the company's concern and will not abuse the privilege.:D

While we're at it, Jim, although I understand the rationale behind giving ample opportunity to an idea posted in the Ideas Exchange Forum to be aired, I believe that too many good ideas are buried deep in the thread and simply are not viewed by enough of us.  In addition, while I am confident this will change as the site matures, there is not enough participation from the rank and file, and good ideas languish for unduly long periods of time.  Presently, there appears to be only a handful of folks that post regularly, and that needs to increase to the point where the majority of the membership feels comfortable posting.  Just my two cents.
Userlevel 6
Re:

Status: https:///t5/Ideas-Exchange/idb-p/Ideas/status-key/Implemented
The ability to edit has been extended to one week from the time of the original post. For the reasons stated before, we don't want to open editing up much wider than that at this time. Otherwise there is potential to change the meaning of an idea after it has already gained significant kudos.

Additionally, you can now permanently edit your own posts in the "https:///t5/Admittedly-More-Interesting-than/ct-p/Interesting" category since those discussions are primarily non-Webroot related.

I really think the ability to edit should be extended to “unlimited” for all those who are “frequent voice” and above.  This group knows and understands the concerns.  We’re not about to abuse the system.