Under Review

Future Linux support?

Userlevel 3
I plan to get one in the future so I would love it if (and so would others probably) if you could add av support for linux ubuntu.
Ubuntu is the most common out there and the easiest. (so I would expect a lot of people to get that one if any of them.) I am sure you could do a great job if you know enough about them. (which I am fairly certain wouldn't be hard for your team)

Thanks in advance ;)

actually on second all of them, I may use gentoo though.

edit edit:  not that it matters but maybe mint. (I hear that even linux can get viruses hence why i would like webroot to support it.  if possible.)

Feel free to chime in if you think this is unnessescary or needed or for whatever reason you may have. (as long as its not harsh)

21 replies

Userlevel 7
I Kudo this one 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
 I just want Linux support so I can use the Password Manager toolbar!!!!!
Userlevel 4
Unfortunatly we was qualified out from a large procurement for 10.000 installation because of lack for Linux support. The requirement was support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 32/64-bit.
Userlevel 3
well its all good.  To be honest, I just want to be able to backup my stuff more than anything. If i could have that I would probably be good.  (I dont know if there are any safe open source backup providers)

edit: fedora is good btw.  that was what i choose. (btw 32 bit fedora drains like only 1/3 of the battery power compared to the 64 bit version.)

I dont really need webroot otherwise now that i got linux but I shall still recommend this for non linux users. (seriously... windows gets many many viruses easily... and yes even macs. ;)    hehe)

edit: hope you aren't offended (I have heard some linux users use wine though which can run windows programs. That might  make it still relevant for some linux users.)

long story short though... My siblings and parents now use this. so you lose one person's interest and gain four to six. hehe.
Linux:  Specifically Ubuntu LTS releases are a requirement going forward for our company.  We are a Webroot busness customer, but more than 20% of our systems are now Ubuntu based.  

This should be an easy migration since you already have MAC/Android builds.  Please support the Linux community as well.

From our prospective, Ubuntu LTS releases and Red Hat Enterprises releases should be supported as a minumum.

Another vote for Ubuntu LTS releases.
Userlevel 1
As far as I can tell the only av product which features realtime protection for Linux (Ubuntu in my case) is ESET. which is a fine product. So I'm happy to pay for it for my Linux machine, which is now my main machine, since I junked Windows 8.1 
However, on my wife's machine, which runs Windows, I have Webroot Secure Anywhere, paid-for.
I do not subscribe to the mantra that you are completely safe with Linux - especially since the popularity of other Unix/Linux based products like Macs/iPads and Android machines has made it less of a step to develop Linux-attacking malware.
So... I'd like to be able to run the same AV on all my household machines.
I therefore add my request to the others for a Deb based Webroot version, please.
Userlevel 4
Any update from the Webroot team on this? Is there any plans at all to offer Unix-support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No news, I'm afraid.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'm also a Linux user and at the moment I'm not using any AV in Linux Mint. It would be great, if I could use the same AV (Webroot) in windows and Linux. I find particularly useful how Webroot protects the browsers from keyloggers, which could come handy even in Linux.
Userlevel 1
I would love to see Webroot running on Linux.  There are more and more people using Linux either as their primary desktop or at least have a Linux machine for a desktop or home server.  Plus you have the business side of the equation.

Linux is more secure than Windows but NO operating system is problem free and it is important for Linux to have a good AV/AS solution.  Plus when running Linux one should still try to reduce and stop Windows viruses from spreading.

It is unfortunate that an organization or home can't get Webroot for Linux and must seek another vendor like ESET, Kasperky, or Comodo.
Userlevel 5
any news for this Idea? :(

and may i know what is mean this On Hold status?

i'm just waiting for Linux version of Webroot and move from windows to Linux 😃
Userlevel 1
In the meantime, ESET has a Linux version (paid-for). It is also possible to get the Linux version of COMODO av (free) working in all latest Ubuntu versions by jumping through a few hoops, namely by replacing driver.tar in /opt/COMODO/ with a later unofficial version available at http://www.bondoffamily-net.com/~kinta-chan/techknow/DownLoad/DownLoad.html - (select beta version and don't worry that Linux is now using a more advanced kernel). You then need to keep this driver.tar file somewhere safe and use it to replace itself (?!) each time there is a Linux kernel update in Ubuntu. Who knows why? Once you have replaced driver.tar (you'll need to use gksu to do this as root). You then need to run sudo /opt/COMODO/post_setup.sh when the replacement driver.tar is in place, and agree (again!) to the licence conditions. Yes, really each time, but with the same downloaded-and-saved driver.tar file. It's a real palaver but it does work, allowing COMODO to provide realtime protection. The virus database is kept updated even if driver.tar is not. I'm currently successfully using it without errors in Ubuntu 16.04 Whether COMODO av would catch a Linux-specific piece of malware is a moot point... But every little helps. I'd rather be using Webroot, as on my other machines, and will do so if a Linux version is ever produced, but such is life! Oh - almost forgot. In order to install COMODO for linux you'll need to install into Ubuntu libssl0.9.8 - which you'll need to find somewhere via Google search (or whatever) as it is no longer in the usual place for that kind of stuff in Ubuntu (try Debian). Best David
Userlevel 5
i don't trust any security companies specialy COMODO ! but Webroot.  :)

so i'm gonna wait for Werbroot on Linux :D

Userlevel 1
Ah - that's nice... David
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I haven't heard of any active plans to work on that for this upcoming fiscal year (our fiscal year starts in July).  We do planning in 3 month cycles, so it could come up again next dev cycle, but then again it might not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
On hold status means that there isn't any currently active development work being done on it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +24
@ @ 

I see we went to reviewed a few months ago...

Are we getting closer to a linux agent?  
Userlevel 7
@ it hasn't been added to the Product Roadmap at this time as the Company is focused on expanding our Business efforts.
Userlevel 6
Badge +24
:(

@  Okay - aside from this thread, is there anything else we should be following to keep tabs on it?
Userlevel 7
Don't hold your breath, @

All of our Product Team's focus is towards PC/Mac. Sorry 😞

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings