Under Review

gui modernization

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
a new eye pleasing gui without Popeye's food colors is urgently needed to fit into W10 overall look and feel

15 replies

Userlevel 7
If you bothered to check the past Feature Requests you will see that a change of GUI has been requested a number of times, and all with little or no success. And I believe that this will remain the case. The Development Team have a view about the GUI and I believe that the code it to be as efficient as possible rather than pandering to the 'eye candy' view. And why should an app look like the OS it is running under...there is no logic to that IMHO.Good luck with this but I very much suspect that we will have to wait for the tie the Development Team is ready for a change.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
I checked before posting and I do not forget past experience here, I know plenty of people either personally or through AV beta testing (F-Secure, Norton, Eset e.g.) who complain because the background is too much black, the blue isn't bright enough, the white too much white etc. and don't post or inquire about, (generally speaking) efficiency,
I know it's only a marketing point of view which I personnaly don't care about and won't talk about any further. If it sells well it's fine !
I wish you a nice weekend.
Userlevel 7
Indeed, but I am just saying that changes have been requested before, and in fact the option to have custom skinning of the application elementsb ut these have always fallen on deaf ears where the Development Team is concerned, as they tightly control what goes into the product and I believe that the GUI is not seen as a major priority.  I may be incorrect in that assertion but that is what I believe.

You have rasied a further |Feature Request and it will be interesting to see what comments it generates and whether Webroot seem interested in picking up on the point.

I also wish you a great weekend.
Userlevel 6
Hello
You have an answer here https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/improve-interface/idi-p/179107
Personally I like"Popeye's food colors":D . They are so different from other AV GUI smooth colors:D
Userlevel 7
I agree with @ on his comments about the GUI. This GUI is better than the old first GUI Webroot came out with. Like @, I personally like "Popeye's Food Colors" also. 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Reminds me of army drabs?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Although we have thought about modernizing the UI, the growing threat landscape has kept us busy with other high importance features. Security is always on top of the list for Webroot. We will definately work towards this request as time permits.

Thanks
Pawani

Userlevel 7
Thanks, Pawani...in my view that is what it should be. I much prefer to be safe than pretty. 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
 yes it's been debated already why not both ?
Userlevel 7
Because not everything can be done at the same time as resources are finite.
I second yeoldfart's proposition to change the colours from, as he quaintly but accurately puts it, "Popeye's food colors". Whilst it is true that they are an improvement on the sickly green of the original GUI, I have problems, on my main Windows 7 computer, seeing for example the cross, the dash and the Help question mark in the top right-hand corner of the GUI window due to the darkness of the spinach green background colour. I often have to tilt the screen to see and select them. Surely that shouldn't be so? And surely it can't be that difficult to simply change these two background colours to more ergonomic ones??

Also, while I'm not a programmer, frankly I can't see how doing that is going to make the code less efficient ?!?!?

So anyway, this proposition wholeheartedly gets my kudo.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Thank you Muddy, I hope my suggestion will make its way through the arcanes of development (in which I am ignorant) I just guess this would be far less complicated than achieving the high level of quality and efficiency we all appreciate.
The gui certainly doess not impair the efficiency but it certain helps sell 😉
@

Where I am coming from (unlike, perhaps, you), I am not so much concerned with having a cool, modern interface as having one that is legible. When the "popeye" spinach green is so dark that it eats up (for my eyes and on my screen) the basic help, minimise and close buttons so that I have to tilt the screen to be able to see them, there is clearly an ergonomic problem here. If it's cloudy or, as now, night-time where I am writing from, no problem, but in the bright light of a sunny day, a real problem 😠.

To my mind, Webroot has never been brilliant on the aesthetic design of its interfaces. But this kind of thing is frankly ridiculous, and so easy to resolve.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Hello Muddy 🙂 I'm french and have the 72 years old eyes that goes with...
chers
Well, I'm English but living in Belgium, and with 67-year old eyes, in case this information is of any interest to anybody. But this does mean we both share older eyes! Webroot, please have a thought for us older guys :@

By the way, your English is excellent.