Complete

Identity Protection / Application Protection - To Work With More Browsers / Email Clients

Badge +2
Would it be possible to make Webroot Secure Anywhere carry out full Identity Protection with more browsers and email clients.

Specifically I would like to see this functionality extended to include:

Palemoon Browser
Basilisk Browser
Brave Browser
Tor Browser
Mozilla Thunderbird email client

Identity Protection seems to be a very worthwhile part of the Webroot Secure Anywhere product, and I'd love to see its protection extended to cover a larger range of network applications.

Many Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hello SplittingDis,

Well I am in agreement with Palemoon and the Brave Browser. But I am not a user of the others or know much about them.

Kind regards,
Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thank you for the suggestion! We are not currently looking to implement functionality into other browsers.
I thought you could manually add Identity Protection to any browser or app:
Webroot GUI > Click Gear Cog to right of Identity Protection (in right-hand pane) > Application Protection > Add Application (???)

Are there perhaps limitations to scope of Identity Protection with manually added browsers/apps ??
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
I thought you could manually add Identity Protection to any browser or app:Webroot GUI > Click Gear Cog to right of Identity Protection (in right-hand pane) > Application Protection > Add Application (???)

Are there perhaps limitations to scope of Identity Protection with manually added browsers/apps ??

Yes your right you can add other programs to the Identity Shield but the only issue I see is with Edge and if you put Edge under protect then you can't type in the address bar. https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_identityshield_userguide/wsa_identityshield_userguide.htm
My first paragraph was, of course, rhetorical and for the interest of others as those of us who know Webroot well, know this already.

However, the second question remains: can someone such as @LLiddell or @PVaddi let us know if browsers and apps that we manually add to the Application Protection list will receive absolutely the same level of protection from Identity Shield as the supported browsers (Firefox, Chrome and IE)?

EDIT: Thank you, @SplittingDis, for the very useful information in your post below written just after I had posted this post.
Badge +2
Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for all your comments on my suggestion.

I may be able to add some extra info courtesy of Webroot Tech Support. Below (in italics) is a quote from Tech Support following my request asking about support for Palemoon, Thunderbird etc.

Palemoon, Tor, Basilisk, and Thunderbird are not supported by Webroot SecureAnywhere and the Identity Protection. This is due to the source code not being compatible with the Identity Shield coding.

Waterfoxx is working as the source code has not been modified as much as the other browsers. Since Firefox is a supported browser by out Identity Protection shield. Browser using modified source code from Firefox, may allow the Identity Shield to access and protect the browsers.

As the builds for these browsers update. If the source code still maintains most of the Firefox architecture the Identity Shield will be able to access and protect the information. However, should the source code be modified or parts removed, the Identity Shield would not be able to work with the browser.

Regarding Muddy7 and TripleHelix's comments on adding applications manually, I think I'm right in saying that you you can add any application to the Application Protection list, but Application Protection will actually only be active on network applications where Webroot Secure Anywhere supports the application and is able to interact with it. If the active application is supported by WSA, the System Tray icon will be overlaid with a padlock symbol indicating full application protection.
If the active application is not supported by WSA, the padlock symbol will not appear and you will not have Application Protection for that application.

For example, I run two browsers (Palemoon & Waterfox) which are forks of Firefox which is supported by WSA. if I run Waterfox browser, WSA shows the padlock symbol and I'm fully protected by Application Protection. However, if I run Palemoon browser the padlock does not show, and the features of Application Protection will not be applied to anything I do with Palemoon.

And if I'm understanding what Tech Support have told me (and I could be wrong!), Waterfox is OK because it's underlying code has not departed too far from Firefox (which is supported), but Palemoon's code is too different from Firefox for WSA to be able to "hook" into, and therefore Palemoon is not protected.

Unfortunately, there does seem to be a further complication! Mozilla Thunderbird used to be supported (padlock symbol appeared), but as of quite recently, no longer seems to be as the padlock no longer shows. Which would seem to be a bit of an oversight as it's a pretty popular email client. Perhaps Webroot staff could comment / explain the Thunderbird anomaly?

Many Thanks.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings