Under Review

Implement a software updater

I really like the WebRoot Anti-Virus and wil have more trust in it to detect malware than the previous product I used which is Avast. However, I still cannot uninstall the Avast AV because I find Avast AV's Software Updater feature quite useful.

Therefore I would like to suggest as a feature request to add a software updater, which checks your system for out-dated applications. It is not realistic to check outdated application versions for everything, but it may be a good idea to keep track of at least the mainstream applications like Adobe Acrobat Reader, Java Runtime Environment, iTunes etc. It would also be great if users can specify if it can automatically download and install updates.

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hello @ have you ever tried Belarc Advisor it very good and free for personal use so have a look:
http://www.belarc.com/en/products_belarc_advisor
Hello @

I appreciate your recommendation:D. I installed it just now and it is good that it shows detailed info about my system and it even looks for missing Windows updates. But it is not quite what I was looking for in terms of the feature request.

The Avast Software Updater lets me know when a major software is out of date and also gives me the choice to automatically install the updates. Yes, I know, I am lazy:$

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Well we will see what others think and what Webroot will say about it.
Will your favored Updater run in Avast Passive Mode.
Or, maybe turn off "all" features except your favored Updater.

I'd have no interest in software-updater.   Just me.  Just saying. 

Have you considered SUMo (Software Update Monitor) - KCSoftware.

Belarc & SUMo satisfy here. 

Thanks

Hello @

To answer your question, yes it is possible to turn off individual features. Although, I am not noticing a significant hit with both turned on as of yet (Probably just that Webroot has small footprint) so I currently have left them both turned on.

I installed SUMo and it looks like it may be a good replacement for Avast's software updater! Avast only checks some of the mainstream apps, but SUMo seems detect way more!  I will give it a go and see if it works better for me.

Thanks for you suggestion!
Userlevel 7
Be careful with SUMO...whilst it may detect "way more" its recommendations are not 100% accurate; on a number of occassions it has mis-diagnosed the installed version and also, in some cases, advised on an incorrect latest version.
@

Maybe, Personal Software Inspector from Flexera is to your liking.

If SUMo offers general information that is to your liking. 
Maybe, DUMo also from KCSoftware will be to your liking as a source of general information.

I'm not a fan of updating just for the sake of updating, nor a fan of auto-updaters.
Once in awhile I'll run SUMo.... as I run Belarc...just for general information.

What I do with the information is case by case. 
Just me.  Just saying.

RE: "I currently have left them both turned on."
>> if you run Avast real-time protection, then Webroot will take a back seat.
Webrooters in the know will explain better.

Thanks

@

Maybe, FileHippo Update Checker or FilePuma Update Detector is to your liking.

And since programs have built-in updater.

Avast updater tool feels like bloat ...albeit, some may say different.

google > lifewire dot com free-software-updater-programs

Just me.  Just saying.
Thanks

Userlevel 7
Can we stay on topic here, i.e., a discussion for an against the feature request to include a software updater in WRSA.

Discussions about alternatives software/applications and their relative merits are out of place in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding in the matter.

Baldrick
I, for one, would be interested in a simple update checker that would automatically check for, and notify of, updates to security-sensitive apps and web browser plugins like Adobe Acrobat, Flash and Java—that is, if the time needed to engineer and maintain this tool were not in any way to impact negatively on the considerable time and manpower needed to maintain and develop Webroot's core activity of keeping its AV protection tools fully up to date, and ahead of the competition.

This tool would be different from the Belarc app recommended by Triple Helix (which I have now installed on my machines) inasmuch as it would concentrate only on this one area and would operate, like AV protection, silently and automatically.

I therefore willingly add my kudos to this suggestion 😃
<< a simple update checker that would automatically check for, and notify of, updates to security-sensitive apps and web browser plugins like Adobe Acrobat, Flash and Java >>

and how would Webroot branded update checker differ from already available third party update checker.
and how would Webroot branded update checker differ from already available Adobe Acrobat, Flash and Java native update checker.

and btw, security-sensitive apps and web browser plugins already offer automatic update.

and btw, the latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge only support the Flash plugin, you’ll need to find an alternative browser if you want to use Java, Silverlight, or any other ActiveX or NPAPI-based plugin.

Userlevel 7
I am anti 'bloatware'...whilst one can argue that keeping software updated is a good thing security-wise (which I would agree with) it is not IMHO a core task of an AV/IS AM application, despite what many of the 'throw the kitchen sink in as well for our money' AV/IS/AM applications promote these days.

I vote to keep WSA on mission. ;)So no kudos from me re. this.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
I have to agree with to keep Webroot the way it is without "bloatware!" There are other programs for all this updating other programs.

Webroot is "Set it and Forget it."

Let Webroot do it's job without adding to the mix. Keep the small foorprint that it already has.

That's my 2 cents worth!;)

"and how would Webroot branded update checker differ from already available third party update checker."
Being automatic.
"and how would Webroot branded update checker differ from already available Adobe Acrobat, Flash and Java native update checker."
I find my plugins can get out of date and I am NOT always informed (have to check manually). The security aspect of that has sometimes worried me.

The point about bloatware is a very good one. One of the really strong points about Webroot is its superlight footprint.
Having said that, that didn't stop Webroot adding System Analyser, System Optimiser, Backup & Sync, Password Manager, Personalised Security Report. Some of which I do frankly consider bloatware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hi Muddy7.

For some reason I knew you would be back with another post. LOLs

I do not think Webroot can give us all these security updates.IMO

We have been updating our programs for years now manually. I really can't see Webroot implementing these updates for us within Webroot. Even if Webroot eliminated some of what you are calling bloatware within the AV.

Sure it would be nice to get these updates but I think Webroot has a big enough job protecting us from Malware. Everyday their is a new virus strain out there.

So you are saying that Webroot should update our other programs, which I feel we are responsible for?

I am not a Developer or programmer...but I don't see this happening on top of what Webroot already does.

I'm sure you're probably right, Sherry.

In my defence, I did add the proviso in my original post: only if this didn't "impact negatively on the considerable time and manpower needed to maintain and develop Webroot's core activity of keeping its AV protection tools fully up to date, and ahead of the competition".

Also, I saw this as only relating to security-critical apps like Java, Flash, Adobe Acrobat.

But as I say, you're probably right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hi Muddy7,

I am sorry I must of missed that in your orginal post. Nicely stated. You always have been good at writing and expressing yourself. Kudos to that!

Yes it would be great to have security-critical apps updated but....;)

Userlevel 7
And why not have a full blown security vulnerability checker thrown in for good measure (as some AM/IS/AM applications have now incuded)...bottom line is that there are some very good software updater applications out there (discussion of which has already led this feature request off on a tangent) so I think that Webroot is very wise not to get distracted by fancy frills and the like.

As was previously stated WSA already includes a number oextras such as "System Analyser, System Optimiser, Backup & Sync, Password Manager, Personalised Security Report", so why add to this?

Baldrick 
"You always have been good at writing and expressing yourself."

Flattery will get you everywhere 😃
Userlevel 7
I would say ditto that to you, Muddy 7. :D

It is great that this sort of thing can be debated honestly and with civility.

And in the end it is the Development Team who decide, based on their roadmap for WRSA....but it is always nice to think that we might have a little influence...occassionally. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Thank you for your feedback on this, we are considering building a patch management solution, this request is under consideration although we don't havea time line for it.
Userlevel 7
Still cannot kudo this as, to my mind, we are in danger of heading off the core mission for WRSA...master of a few not jack of all when it comes to security & protection.

As always there are plenty of easy to use and very good 3rd party applications that satisfy the base requirement/reason for the request....do we really want to end up with a behemoth such as NIS, BitDefender, KIS, etc., which are over complicated and therefore most likely the functionality is not used by the average user other than in default mode, etc?

Just a few other thoughts...by way of balance. :D