Complete

Longer usernames

• 16 February 2013
  • 14 replies

Currently usernames are limited to 15 characters and my username is not complete, perhaps others have this as well or simply choose a shorter username because their first choice was too long. This is kind of a minor issue but if it would be an easy fix then it would be nice if this was changed.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
B**************, you have my support.

Just how long is your full username?  ;)

BTW, no issue is "minor" if it has merit.  Sometimes, it's the small stuff that makes the difference.
Userlevel 7
Sure, that's doable. The reason for the character limit is to keep some of the modules looking right. Names that are too long would cause readability issues. However, I believe you're just asking to have it moved from 15 characters to 18 characters to allow your name from Wilders to fit, right? 18 characters should fit, so we'll have this change out probably Wednesday morning.
@RWM
23 characters actually :D though these days I always use the 18 character version(BoerenkoolMetWorst) because there is almost no forum that accepts such a long username. The full username is BoerenkoolMetWorstEnJus which is a traditional dutch recipe and means(used web translation so may not be correct) mashed kale with sausages and gravy. BoerenkoolMetWorst is the same without the gravy. I'm actually not a fan of that food but thought it was a funny username.

@JimM
That'll be nice, thanks 🙂
Userlevel 7
I'll see if I can make room for the gravy as well.  :P  There is more to QA for that, but we'll make it fit if we can.  Just don't go adding mashed potatos next!
Haha, thanks 🙂
Userlevel 6
Germans, in particular, are notorious for long names!

I was travelling through Europe and came across  the word (spelling is not perfect, but it's close):

"Eisenbahnschrankenshafnerstatcionfuhrer."

This is the guy who sits in a little booth along the side of the railroad tracks at a crossing and opens the gate.

Jim, do you mind if I change my username?  😉
How about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyr-ndrobwllllandysiliogogogoch :p
Apparently it's a village in Wales.

EDIT: How about this hill in New Zealand:
Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuaakitanarahu
Userlevel 7
BoerenkoolMetWo please don't use! It's my https:///t5/Security-Industry-News/P-1234-the-end-of-strong-password-only-security-Deloitte/m-p/25978#M1020 :D
Userlevel 6

The longest word, according to the 1983 Guiness Book of Records:

vrachtwagena­anhangerrese­rverechterac­hterwielvent­ie­­ldopdoosetiketverfletteronderdeeltjes

(My Security Code on WSA)  ;)­
Longest placename in the world(though it isn't one word)
Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

It's the ceremonial name for Bangkok

@Pegas
lol, though still vulnerable to dictionary attacks(at least if the attacker has one big enough :P)

@RWM
Nice one 🙂
Userlevel 7
Slight delay - look for this Friday morning instead.  🙂
Userlevel 7
18 characters fits in most places, and the few places it doesn't, it will just wrap the text. So, this idea has been implemented. Sadly, there was no room for the gravy, but the line has to be drawn somewhere, as this conversation has so amusingly shown. 🙂
Userlevel 7
So... I cannot do the name change I had planned on...

Supercalifragalistickexpealidocious!

Ok.. I can live with being plain DavidP.
It's working 🙂