New

Make It Easier to Provide Feedback

• 16 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

The current workflow for providing feedback is incredibly time consuming for someone who has implemented the security features in webroot.

Generally speaking, dealing with security issues is a chore that comes up when a person is in the middle of doing something else on the computer. For me, this often means having to break my train of thought while working on an important project in order to then commit my full attention to troubleshooing something that can take a very long time. Let’s say that I am working on a complex spreadsheet where I’m grabbing data from various websites and having to download test and tweak various macros. All of the sudden, webroot has a problem with something, deletes some files and/or restricts some activity. Now for an overly complicated detour that can look like the following:

Look up what file or activity webroot blocked and hopefully informed me of. A file gets flagged as having malware but you do not know why and the download source seems reputable. Now you have to manually restore the potentially dangerous file in one section of the program, manually track down the file location in windows explorer, then open up another section of webroot to manually upload the file for analysis where you can’t really give the feedback you need to give. Next, you have to find a third-party tool in order to research the file or process in question and then decide whether to allow the process/file.

Now, you decide to provide feedback. However, clicking on “My Account” or “Support / Community” does not automatically log you in. Instead, you need to open up the password manager and type in a highly secure yet easy to mis-type master password. Sometimes, you get a critical update message and you then go down yet another detour. Finally, you log into webroot console and the forum using two different accounts and now you have to remember or figure out what sort of details to provide in your post.

Now Windows wants to restart for an unrelated update and the original thing you were working on keeps getting pushed down in priority. When you finally get back to your project, you realize that not only have you completely forgotten your train of thought, lost the webpages you were referencing after having to restart, but now you have to deal with life responsibilities like cooking/eating/answering your phone.

Sorry for the overly long post, but I wanted to get this point across. This workflow can be simplified to the point where dealing with these security tasks can be quick.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@ag0346, Webroot is just looking out for your job. If they make it easy, why would the company need you.

For the record, I’m completely kidding! I understand your frustration as I’m a one person IT department. I’ve been on vacation and had to remote in from a tablet at a gas station to fix a false positive virus on a PC. I also have an open case from earlier this year that support can’t resolve. It’s due to how my backup appliance deploys updates of its software to clients. It uses a wrapper that Webroot automatically registers as a virus and they can’t fix the issue to the point that they gave up and stopped contacting me. I did find a workaround, but I shouldn’t have needed to.

All that to say, yes Webroot should streamline the process to make it more convenient, take less time to resolution, and effective.

Final thought, don’t forget to vote on your own ideas, the forum doesn’t automatically do it for you.

Sincerely,

NicCrockett

Badge +4

I agree, Webroot should have more ways for customers to contact the company. Email and phone support is a must these days for antivirus software brands,