Complete

MobileSecurity for Windows Phone?

Userlevel 7
Hi there

I know that the WP7 community is small (and in some circles WP7 is derided as not a serious mobile OS) but I believe that its acceptance is on the raise and therefore I was wondering if anyone knows of any plans by Webroot to include support for OS via the Mobile Security application.

One of the reasons I went for Essentials 2012 rather than Complete 2012 is the lack of this support.

Personally I hope that there are plans afoot and that the omission (IMHP) is rectified soon.

Any thoughts or observations about the inclusion in the Webroot apps (not about which mobile O/S is best) welcome.

Cheers

Balders

26 replies

I would like to know has well if any plans for WP7 or WP8 version, I know Windows Phone only take up small portion of the market at this time. But still would be nice to see Webroot Covering all the major Phones Systems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Same here as I want to get a new phone with Win 7 OS or better but nothing to do with Android!

TH
Userlevel 2
Good questions.
We do have Windows OS on the roadmap for this year. However it really depends on how Windows takes off. Personally I would not count Windows out, there is always room for competition. I think they have a good oppurtunity to make Windows 8 for both platforms (PC and Mobile), if this were so, then I reckon things in the mobile space might change for the better in their direction.

So, the Mobile team here at Webroot have plans to work on this. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi djames

Thanks for the heads up.  It is certainly good to know that WP7 (or WP8 aka Apollo) are being consdered for inclusion iin the future product.  Fingers crossed that this happens.

Cheers

Balders 😃
Userlevel 2
I wanted to update this thread with some news from Redmond :)

http://www.tgdaily.com/software-features/61358-what-you-can-expect-from-windows-8-on-arm

It looks like Microsoft is planning on Windows 8 being cross platform capable, which we kinda guessed anyway, but good to know this is what they intend. What's more important is that Office "15" will be mobile as well.

🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Thank you djames for the info!

TH
Hello, I am a new owner of a Windows 8 phone and was looking for a mobile app to protect my phone. Where can I find this ?
Userlevel 7
Grimmbro, although the idea is being considered, there is no version of Webroot SecureAnywhere available for Windows phones yet at this time.
Userlevel 7
Any update on introducing WSA to Win phones?
Userlevel 7
There is no update at this time regarding Windows phone coverage.  We will be sure to update the topic when we have an update.
This question seems to have been an open issue for some time!
WP8 on Nokia and other platforms is hardly a rarity nowadays - so, let's have Webroot covering it please.
I bought a multi-platform long-term licence in order to cover phones as well as PCs; but didn't check that Webroot 'also covers your mobile devices' means WP is included as well as Android; bought Nokia; so now can't use my licences the way I thought.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
"In addition to what everyone else said, an antivirus would not be able to function. Since the apps are sandboxed, they cannot access each other's files, so an antivirus app could not access another app's files in order to scan them. The app would be pointless. Although AVG did try to fool us into thinking we needed it last year........"

For more info please read:

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-apps/202652-antivirus-software-needed.html#post1812335

TH
Bring it... Support is overdue.

Now where is that "Kudos" Button?

Userlevel 7
Jerry, that's at the upper left side of the idea.  It's an up arrow with a plus sign next to it.  Thanks for your feedback.  🙂
Userlevel 7
I am asked about this from time to time as well... so do please keep it in mind.Given the recent news over the last few days, I am guessing there is no longer much support for a Blackberry version? 🙂
Hi, Yes I agree support for Win 8 mobiles is overdue. It needs to happen to become a serious business product.
Userlevel 7
Let me remind everyone that the apps in WP are sandboxed, they cannot access each other's files, so an antivirus app could not access another app's files in order to scan them. WP is already secure. Hence there is no AV in the WP store. Only a couple of secure browsers are available that only provide phishing protection that is rating sites and warning against bad sites. Even if one visits a site and downloads a malware, it won't run in WP.
Userlevel 7
Hi Evan

Never say never...whilst Windows Phone takes care that each program runs in its own shell (designated area) and other programs cannot manipulate its data, thereby reducing the chance of malware attack and malware replication, it only REDUCES the chance.  There is no doubt that it is possible to develop malware for Windows Phone...it is just that there is no incentive as yet.

Regards, Baldrick.
Userlevel 7
@
Well I think it's not as much about the incentive as the technical side. A handful of the big players tried to introduce their products into the WP platform but couldn't. I remeber when AVG tried to introduce their AV but failed. A few months back Kaspersky introduced only a 'secure browser'. They had the incentive but yet didn't launch an AV. It's just pointless to get an AV in WP at least for now. Also MS oversees the WP store and checks every app and certifies them. There is no malware in WP and no need for an AV for now and people have to accept that. That said, Webroot could launch an app for password and backup features of WSA.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
As Windows Phone market has risen to 15 % and counting, it would be wise to roll out a compatible version
Userlevel 7
I think that you will find that this has already been requested twice: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/MobileSecurity-for-Windows-Phone/idi-p/692 and https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Really-The-Windows-Phone-Isn-t-A-Viable-Platform/idi-p/112108 so why not support one of these rather than starting another request? Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
... because I like creating posts better than "reviving" dormant ones 😉 if I broke any forum rule, pls simply delete my post.
Userlevel 7
You have broken no rule per se...but why create posts when supporting existing posts (which is the whole point of the options available in the Feature Exchange) would better concentrate/focus the requirement both in the minds of the Community and the Development Team, who are after all the people that we would like to get onside for the ideas. Unless...

And by the way none of the Features Requests are 'dormant' as you put it (and indeed one of the ones I highlighted is 'Under Consideration') as they are all periodically reviewed by the Development Team and those that do not make muster are closed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
good to know, thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
And I assume they will not allow AV's on Win 10 Phones like Apple Phones so not sure if it feasible? Maybe they have Windows Defender for Mobile but not enough info at this time.

Daniel

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings